CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W209 convertible top faulty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
280S (126),SLK230, CLK200 Cabrio, 190e
Question W209 convertible top faulty

My 2004 W209 CLK top could not complete the operation.

It goes through the process but when it gets to the last part (this is where the last cover closes) nothing happens. Consequently the indicator on the dash indicates that the top is open.

I should advise that everything else operates as it should. The top opens windows goes down etc..

I took it to the dealer where they change a module with a couple of switches on it.

After receiving the car I had not opened the top for a month or so. But on the opening the top for the second time two months after receiving the car. The same problem. It appears as if the switch mechanism is broken again.

I understand that this is a problem with this car.

Is there a way to bypass this switch and close the last cover manually.

Looking forward to a reply.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
First of all, I'd go back to the dealer. They should warrant their work for at least 90 days (parts are good for 12 months, some dealers warrant labor, too), and if it is the same part that has failed, they should fix it. However, this sounds like a limit switch and not the control unit. The two easiest limit switches to check (and often the culprits). Operate the top so that the canvas is closed, but the rear glass and the rear cover are both open, then release the switch. Now look at the J shaped hooks behind the headrests, where the leading edge of the cover will engage. Each one has a switch on it. See here:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/co...ch%20group.pdf

I'd check the wiring and make sure they seem to "click" when operated. Maybe spray some contact cleaner in them.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
280S (126),SLK230, CLK200 Cabrio, 190e
W209 convertible top faulty

Thanks Rodney

I had the limit switch checked. It turned out that one of two lips (hook) on the end of the limit switch mechanism broke. This is the same problem as before.

Because I had not opened the top for some time, the warranty on the repair expired.

I hope this is not a problem that will persist.

Will continue to post developments.

vortex1