CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

NAVRGB-MBCIRC install

Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NAVRGB-MBCIRC install

I have a US spec 2007 (550 CLK vert) with MCSII Command with Nav and have some questions. I just purchased a NavRGB-MBCIRC from *******s to add rear view camera input into the Command unit (as well as an additional composite input).

Since the reverse gear input signal in the car is handled by CANBUS (like virtually everything else in our cars ), the (+) power to the backup lights is handled by the Rear SAM unit, and is thus susceptible to error codes if current draws etc are changed. To prevent any potential problems with error codes being generated by CANBUS, a relay isolating the reverse trigger to the NavRGB unit must be utilized in all Benzes according to the manufacturer (*******s) as wiring the reverse trigger directly will result in an error code to the backup lamp.

Since the Rear SAM unit that actually sends the (+) power to the backup bulb is in the trunk, I am placing the relay in the trunk (a Hella relay that has a built-in socket for a fuse). This location has the added benefit of subduing an annoying "click" sound every time the relay is triggered by putting the car in reverse gear, rather than having the relay in the passenger cabin.

I was able to find the wire from the Rear SAM to the backup lamp to "tap" into a reverse signal via online wiring schematics from ALLDATA. However, I was not able to identify with any certainty a location in the trunk that provides ACC power (power on only when key is in Accessory position) in order to provide power to the rearview camera. I have located the Terminal Block (X4/37) on Circuit 30 which provides power to the Rear SAM controller via power from the pre-fuse box in the engine compartment, but did not know if this was an "always on" Constant Power or if it was a switched Accessory Power source that is controlled by another CANBUS control module.

I know that I can tap into a switched Accessory power source at the back of the cigarette lighter socket in the cabin (and will use this to provide power to the NavRGB controller), but I would rather provide camera power from an ACC Terminal in the trunk (controlled by the relay to provide camera power only when in reverse gear) in order to minimize wire runs and provide a cleaner install.

Can anyone tell me if there is a good source for Accessory power in the trunk which will not result in a CANBUS error (possibly Terminal Block X4/37?).

Also, does anyone already have experience with the NavRGB-MBCIRC interface from *******s and what do you think of this unit (quality, reliability, etc.)? TIA for any help.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
First of all, why not pickup the reverse signal from the shifter indicator in the center console? I am not sure which wire it is in the harness there, but it should be easy to determine with a voltmeter. As for switched 12v+ in the trunk, I know there is one there. I installed a GPS tracker in the kid's C240 and I found suitable fuses to tap into for both 12v constant and 12v switched. I would highly recommend using these for tapping into the fuse block:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=fuse+tap

This allows the original circuit to maintain its own fuse plus adds a fuse for the accessory you are installing.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rodney - Thanks for the input and suggestions. I see that you have been extremely helpful in these forums and a great resource and I appreciate your help.

The reason I did not think that it would work tapping the signal from the center console is that I think that the shift indicator reverse signal is part of the CANBUS network in the car and since the ******* reverse signal wire is not part of an isolated circuit in the ******* module, it may induce error codes in the CANBUS (I think that is why *******s indicates it is mandatory to utilize a separate relay to isolate the reverse signal in their Mercedes applications). The way in which this relay is to be wired into the system is for the reverse signal (+) to be attached to the coil of the relay, so that when it triggers, it will close the relay and send an isolated power source to the reverse signal wire on the ******* unit, either from a ACC source or a constant on (+) source. By using a HELLA 003530041 12V/25 Amp SPST Mini ISO Relay, which has a socket built into the "switched" part of the relay to accept a blade style automotive fuse, my thought was to bypass the Rear SAM fuse box.

At any rate, I'd prefer not to have this relay in the center console as it would emit a click every time I shift into reverse which may sound sort of "cheezy" in a semi-luxury touring car, thus my desire to keep the relay in the trunk area (I see you also have a 2007 CLK550 cab, as do I... you must have excellent taste!).

Thanks for the suggestion for the ATC Fuse Tap. Did you use this in the Rear SAM fuse box in the trunk of your kid's C240 (were there any clearance problems with the adjacent fuses in the fuse box after you placed the fuses into the tap?). Looks like it would make for a real clean install and keep all the fuses in one place. Thanks again for your generous help.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yep, I used these fuse taps in the rear SAM in C240 as well as in the cabin fuse box in my CLK to power a Jabra BT Speaker - no problems at all.

As for the reverse wiring, I would think you could tap directly into the shifter wiring with no relays - it's directly powering an LED, so it's not getting involved with the CAN bus. BTW, there are CAN bus adapters (SWI-CAN?) that can be used for aftermarket radio installs that are designed to tap into the steering wheel controls, but also they provide a reverse gear lead. That's probably more complex and expensive than necessary, but it is another option.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63sAMG|CLK550Cabriolet
Originally Posted by mohdds
I have a US spec 2007 (550 CLK vert) with MCSII Command with Nav and have some questions. I just purchased a NavRGB-MBCIRC from *******s to add rear view camera input into the Command unit (as well as an additional composite input).

Since the reverse gear input signal in the car is handled by CANBUS (like virtually everything else in our cars ), the (+) power to the backup lights is handled by the Rear SAM unit, and is thus susceptible to error codes if current draws etc are changed. To prevent any potential problems with error codes being generated by CANBUS, a relay isolating the reverse trigger to the NavRGB unit must be utilized in all Benzes according to the manufacturer (*******s) as wiring the reverse trigger directly will result in an error code to the backup lamp.

Since the Rear SAM unit that actually sends the (+) power to the backup bulb is in the trunk, I am placing the relay in the trunk (a Hella relay that has a built-in socket for a fuse). This location has the added benefit of subduing an annoying "click" sound every time the relay is triggered by putting the car in reverse gear, rather than having the relay in the passenger cabin.

I was able to find the wire from the Rear SAM to the backup lamp to "tap" into a reverse signal via online wiring schematics from ALLDATA. However, I was not able to identify with any certainty a location in the trunk that provides ACC power (power on only when key is in Accessory position) in order to provide power to the rearview camera. I have located the Terminal Block (X4/37) on Circuit 30 which provides power to the Rear SAM controller via power from the pre-fuse box in the engine compartment, but did not know if this was an "always on" Constant Power or if it was a switched Accessory Power source that is controlled by another CANBUS control module.

I know that I can tap into a switched Accessory power source at the back of the cigarette lighter socket in the cabin (and will use this to provide power to the NavRGB controller), but I would rather provide camera power from an ACC Terminal in the trunk (controlled by the relay to provide camera power only when in reverse gear) in order to minimize wire runs and provide a cleaner install.

Can anyone tell me if there is a good source for Accessory power in the trunk which will not result in a CANBUS error (possibly Terminal Block X4/37?).

Also, does anyone already have experience with the NavRGB-MBCIRC interface from *******s and what do you think of this unit (quality, reliability, etc.)? TIA for any help.

Hello Sir,

I recently came across this post and would like to know if you would recommend the ******* mb circ product? I am debating getting it and would like to know if it is a waste. I have the 07 CLK 550 Vert' as well and wondered is it worth it. Also what rear camera did you use for your backup (reverse camera) .

Thank you in advance for your help.