CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear view mirror dis-assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear view mirror dis-assembly

I have a 2007 CLK vert and was thinking of taking apart a 1080p dash cam w/DVR and putting its electronic guts and lens into a more stealthy confirguration (this after having an individual run a red light and having me almost t-bone him in a near miss - got me to think about liability issues etc.). Although it has not caught on so much here in the US (somewhat surprising due to the litigious nature of our society) I understand that dash cams are very popular in some other parts of the world such as in Russia, Korea and Singapore.

Anyway, does anyone have dis-assembly instructions for the rear view mirror assembly? As well, the dis-assembly instructions for the cover that covers the rain sensors on the front windshield right in front of the in cabin rear view mirror? If there is enough room in each to stuff the guts of a dash cam (I would place the camera lens and chip in the rear view mirror assembly so that it faces the front windshield, and the rest of the electronics wherever they will fit) I can draw power from the existing power to the built in HomeLink garage door opener circuit and it would make for a very stealthy install, without having all the wires and windshield mounting brackets and camera cluttering up the front windshield.

Some off the newest CMOS dash cams have reasonable resolution (1080p and 720p) and they record to mini SD cards. The boards for the electronics on these dash cams (many from Korea) are also getting smaller and more compact but the cameras themselves look more like an afterthought stuck to the windshield of the car like the old radar detectors.

Anyway, TIA for any information.

Cheers.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The mirror is easy to remove - grab it and twist. The plastic cover over the rain sensor is also easy to remove - it's just snapped in place. As for disassembly of the mirror, unless someone else has done that, there aren't any official docs for it - it's a single part to MBZ.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The mirror is easy to remove - grab it and twist....

so much MB dis-assembly is a leap of faith...not sure I have the guts to "grab and twist"! I still haven't mustered the courage to remove my side mirror to tighten the housing (frustrating memory of the passenger side mirror on my CLK350 falling off multiple times and I never did master the art of clicking it back into place).
Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Well, look at it this way - it's either going to come off as it should, or it's going to break. I always have a heck of at time getting the rearview mirrors loose, but my wife, just in "normal daily operation", has succeeded in removing every mirror in every car we've owned. If you'll buy the plan ticket, I am sure she'd come up there and help!