CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Clk 240 help (ashtray and headrest)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk240
Clk 240 help (ashtray and headrest)

Hi guys been using the forum for a while but finally decided to ask a few questions as you guys have proved helpful for everything else I've needed answering!

Firstly, my ashtray seems not to close properly. When I push it down, it doesn't seem to click into place, just bounces straight back up. Any ideas how how I can get the little door bit out without taking the whole dash apart? I think it's probably just dirt inside.

Secondly my headrests. Both driver and passenger are stuck fully extended. They both worked when I got the car about 2 months ago now both are not functioning. The drivers side will go down when the seat is pulled forward for access to rear seats, but the passenger one won't move at all even when pulling the seat forward, causing it to get stuck on the car ceiling. I've looked everywhere online and tried everything people have suggested ie resetting by moving forward and backwards etc but still won't budge. Anyone got any ideas I can try before taking it to a garage?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
To get the ashtray out, all you have to do is remove the wood (or metal) panel just behind it on the center console. It's just snapped in place with pretty solid metal clips. Once it's out, then you can pry the taps on the ashtray to remove it. These instructions are for the W203, but they are identical to the W209:

http://benzbits.com/w203/Radio/RemoveGearshiftPanel.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w203/Radio/RemoveAshtrayHousing.pdf

As for the headrests, if you have tried unplugging the seat controllers and that didn't do the trick, then it must be bad motors in the seats.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk240
Thanks for the guide for the ashtray. Will give it a try over the next few days.

The seat controller - where is it located? Is it behind the seat or underneath? I've had a fiddle with the wires underneath to make sure they are all working ok, but I've heard there is also one in the seat behind the back which you can take off. I'm just trying to get hold of a torx screwdriver at the moment so I can take it off. If worse comes to worse I will take the back of the seat off and see if I can move them down manually. I'd rather they be fully down then fully up.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The controller is under the seat. The only thing in the seat back is the motor.