CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Is there a solution for sticky panels?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
W222 s550 , BMW 535i 15’
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Uh, yes. In a bad accident, any of those parts can become crush devices. Last night, we watched the current episode of Dateline NBC where a woman and her two daughters were left pinned inside their BMW 3 series, when a truck pushed them against and then onto a bride railing. Unless they had told us the car was a BMW, it would have been impossible to tell.

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/entertainmen...-bridge-rescue

When you see that, you realize how important it is for car parts not to be hard and secure. Both safety and the need to save weight for government-mandated fuel economy have manufacturers using lighter and more easily shed parts. It's why we have chrome-plated plastic grilles instead of metal and plastic clips holding bumpers and trim on instead of nice bit thick bolts. It's why a 5mpg "bumper kiss" ends up costing $2K to repair.

I know you mentioned in another thread with a Toyota you owned, that you had no problems like this with plastic trim and clips. I've owned a few Toyota and Lexus vehicles and they have been quite reliable for the two or three years we kept s them, but the one I had that was about 10 years old started rusting and losing plastic trim pieces and even bolts on body panels were coming loose. On the Lexus, that we had (from new) for only two years, the door checks kept breaking and the rearview mirror would vibrate and eventually fall off the windshield.

The engine bay and the road are harsh conditions. Back to the early days of electronic fuel injection ECUs (on all makes) were failing every couple of years because manufacturers didn't know how to better protect them from the elements. Belts and radiator hoses had to be replaced every few years. If you AC system lasted five years, you were on borrowed time. It's almost impossible to build a great car and make it last trouble-free through the years. It's very easy to build a simple car and make it last, and of course it's very easy to build anything without the intention of longevity. I believe MBZ does a fantastic job of building great vehicles, that with proper attention, will last a long time. I believe Toyota/Lexus does a fantastic job of building very simple, basic cars that also will last a good while. Other makes, well, many of them are building really nice things that have no intention of longevity.
Well I guess I should be happy!
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SL 550 Silver Arrow, 2015 GLK350
Smile Easy and Quick Clean up

I followed the solution proposed by Rudeney on 6/26/2013 and it works like a charm. I carefully pried the panel out with an Exacto knife blade and applied the nail polish remover with a microfiber cloth. I found that if you wetted the cloth with the nail polish remover and blotted it on a small section at a time then rubbed gently with more remover the gunk came off quickly. When all the gunk was removed I washed the cleaned part with dish soap and warm water.
When finished I cleaned the edges of the part and the dash trim surrounding the part with soapy water and then carefully reinstalled the trim piece,
I would add a picture but my finished part looked just like Rudeneys!!
Old 07-13-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350, 2007 CLK350
Cleaning Update

I just completed this with great results.

I filled a small bowl with mild detergent (Palmolive Orange colored) and set the vent panel on to soak for a few minutes..

I then used a microfiber cloth and started wiping at the goo, rinsing the cloth frequently. All the goo came off without issue. Took a little bit of wiping and rinsing, but its all off now.

Mild dish soap works perfectly, don't bother with anything else.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:31 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by egalt
I just completed this with great results.

I filled a small bowl with mild detergent (Palmolive Orange colored) and set the vent panel on to soak for a few minutes..

I then used a microfiber cloth and started wiping at the goo, rinsing the cloth frequently. All the goo came off without issue. Took a little bit of wiping and rinsing, but its all off now.

Mild dish soap works perfectly, don't bother with anything else.
I agree. I used some spray-on goo-be-gone product, and it did nothing. But then I used some degreaser detergent stuff (similar to Simple Green) and it worked.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML250CDI, CLK350cabrio
sticky vent panel on CLK350 cabrio

Thanks for the advice on this forum. I used a normal dish detergent(Sunlight liquid) in warm water with a microfiber cloth and the gunk came off no problem. The rotary wheels are still a bit sticky possibly from finger residue so that will be next....To enhance the black plastic I used a normal spray on wax polish and hey presto, as good as new.