CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Huge eisenmann exhaust problem..need help fast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Coupe
Huge eisenmann exhaust problem..need help fast

So i bought an eisenmann exhaust off one of the members here. Basically a muffler with two tips, then a pipe running out of the muffler to another two tips. I was going for the quad setup look and i bought a dtm cf diffuser as well.
Now here comes the problems...

Exhaust shop has placed the muffler so that the tips are on the inside of the diffuser, basically touching it...so what that does is leave a huge gap on the left side of the diffuser..this was because the muffler was too big to push to the middle because it would hit the frame of the car. So basiclaly the tips arent centered and not much i can do about it. Pics will be posted soon..

option 1: Straight pipe with dual inlet/outlet magnaflow to two y pipes that end at the tips. This is probably the best option, but i would have to sell my eisenmann which would be a huge hassle i rather not go through

....option 2...now tell me what you think of this...i am a little desperate..

Cut off the tips of the muffler...and replace the resonator in place of it, then run two y pipes to the tips...
Im no exhuast expert, nor have i seen or heard of anyone doing this. So any input would be great even if u want to insult my intelligence The one problem would be i would have to weld the third hole(pipe that runs to the phony tips) shut AND seeing the size of the muffler idk how it would look in the middle of the car..
Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I am no expert either (though I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express). I just finished my exhaust - magnaflow 200 cell cats -> vibrant resonators -> magnaflow X-pipe -> magnaflow 14" dual in/out muffler -> quad tips (ebay). Very happy with it..... I have the VIS diffuser and that is a large opening. It took a second trip to get the tips centered and straight (they're near straight anyway).

One option we considered was to use essentially one half an "X" pipe at the end of the pipe and before the tips to get the offset needed to center. I think the offset using this method was about 1.75".

We ended using a flanged collar between the pipe and tip and adjsuted the tip in the collar to get about a 1.25" offset. This was very close to center and involved far less fabrication. The guy doing the work fabricated his own "X" and "H" pipes.

Look forward to your pics.