CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Is this leak expected?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w209 320 clk
Question Is this leak expected?

Hey

I have a w209 convertible it's raining here in the uk. I open my window sometimes and obviously I expect a bit of rain to come in. However when I do open the window I have drops of water dripping into my car from the rooftop as it's soaking wet

In fact it drips quite a bit so my leg tends to get wet along with the side panel..

Is this expected? Or could this be a problem with the roof top?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Since there is no drip rail (or not much of one) on the canvas top, you will get water running off the top and into the car if you lower the side window. But if you are getting water dripping through the canvas even with the window closed, then you have a problem. The canvas is made with a waterproof layer fused to the underside of the fabric. This could be corrupted causing a leak. Another possibility is that the drain tubes that are integrated into the rubber gasket along the A pillar are clogged (search the forum - I've posted photos and info on checking these).

If the waterproof layer is broken, sometimes treating the canvas with a water repellent such as ScotchGard, RaggTopp or even Granger's Tent Waterproofer can help.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 CLK 320
I was looking at my hood arrangement and wonder if part of yours is missing or plugged.

The fabric hood has a small built in perfunctory “drip rail” that leads down to a small rubber “funnel” (for want of a better word) which is part of the A pillar molding. If that funnel was plugged, or had become detached for some reason, you would experience the wet leg you are enjoying.

Just a thought
Attached Thumbnails Is this leak expected?-photo-5.jpg   Is this leak expected?-photo-3.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There are actually two water drain in the A pillar rubber. One collects any water that makes it into the rubber channel on the top of the windshield and the other collects water from the fabric "drip rail" stitched into the canvas. If you slowly pour water into them, you should see it drain out in between the fender and door. The side window does need to he raised as one of the channels sits against the glass.