CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Vibrating at over 40. Problem is not balancing. Wheel hub going bad? Hubcentric ring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Coupe
Vibrating at over 40. Problem is not balancing. Wheel hub going bad? Hubcentric ring?

I put these 19 inch vertini dynastys on the car. After throwing on some hubcentric 15mm spacers on the back and a 3mm non hubcentric spacer on the front, the fitment is good.

Now before i even put any spacers on ive had this vibrating issue from the get go. Alignment also needs to be done but i doubt that will effect the vibrating.

The wheels have been balanced 2 times now and inspected by a wheels only professional who said the balancing was fine. Now this is what he told me. He said the wheel hubs in the front are going bad because he could tilt the wheels i would say roughly and inch or 2 while the car was in the air and the wheels were on and that may be causing the vibration.

Problem being, i didnt have such a vigorous vibration with the oem 18 inch amgs i had on the car which were also heavier before i put these on, granted there was a small amount of vibration. I always figured it mustve been a balancing issue so i didnt pay much mind as it didnt effect the ride much

Now question is. Can these "bad" wheel hubs cause this vibration at higher speeds? I would assume if they were bad the car would be vibrating all the time? If so, has anyone got it done before or had a similar problem? is it covered under warranty? The car only has 49500 on it, seems like the wheel hub shouldnt be going bad till at least 100,000. I had a c230 that went to 200k without the wheel hubs going bad.

Ive also checked the hub measurement on both the wheels and the hub. They both are 66.56 mm so i dont think hubtrensicity is the issue
Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 192 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
I think it's in the spacers or however you're installing the wheels. Make sure everything is hubcentric. Get your wheels roadforce balanced. You can balance wheels on a regular machine all day and be "OK" yet when you do roadforce everything changes.

Also, if he can tilt the wheels an inch or 2 while the car is in the air then...ummmm hahahaha yeah. I would look for much larger problems...tie rods hubs etc.

If the hubs were bad I'm sure you'd hear some sort of noise at speed.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Coupe
SO The vibrating is finally gone! The problem were the cheap tires I had put on the wheels. After inspecting them thoroughly again on the balancing machine it was deemed that the tires were just a bit out of round. The wheel guy who I was getting this free service whom I did not buy the wheels from told me usually this much out of roundness would not be an issue so it could be it but to eliminate all the variables I should get new tires. I called up mavis regional manager and told them the tires installed were bad. He gave me an option to upgrade to continental contitact dws as long as I paid the difference. Did that. Vibration gone.