CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Any inexpensive Star Diagnostic system that is know to work with our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 clk 550
Any inexpensive Star Diagnostic system that is know to work with our cars?

Hi. Searched, but couldn't glean a clear answer. I'm looking to read and write certain codes and adaptations. Any relatively inexpensive Star Diagnostic systems that folks use?

2007 CLK 550
Old 11-09-2013, 11:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I bought mine on eBay for about $500. There are two models - C3 and C4. C3 requires an RS-232 serial port (you may be able to use a USB-RS232 adapter, but I've not tried that). That is the system I have. C4 is better for more modern computers that lack RS232 ports as its multiplexer/OBDII interface communicated wirelessly (via wifi).

Now, there are also two types of installation configurations sold. Because the installation of SDS is quite a tedious and lengthy process (plus the hacks required to run it are complex), most of these are sold on a hard drive already installed. In one case, they send you a hard drive that you install as the "CL:" drive of your laptop, but this means you need a compatible machine, such an as IBM T60, or Dell D630. The other installation is better. In this case, they still send you a hard drive, but it uses a VMWARE virtual PC to run, so it work on "any" computer. I have it installed on my old Dell D630 running Windows 8 64-bit and which I use for live connection to the car (since it has the serial pot), but for using SDS in "demo" mode and access to WIS and EPC, I also have the virtual machine installed on my Lenovo Yog (but no serial port, so no live connection to the car).

Like I said, I got mine on eBay for about $500. I think I did one of those "make an offers" and paid $495 delivered. I also saw someone post this a few months back:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod..._3193630&vd=30
Old 11-10-2013, 12:53 PM

2007 clk 550
thanks so much. what are the requirements for the VMWARE version? Do i just need "any" windows laptop, download vmware and hook up the supplied harddrive to my computer (say, via a USB enclousre) and run that VM?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I think any laptop capable of running Windows 7 should be fine. For actual use in the garage, I have it running on my old Dell D630, which is a Core 2 Duo CPU. It originally had 4GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive, and it ran just fine. I upgraded it to 8GB and a 256GB SSD and it screams. I also run a copy (just for reference purposes) on my new laptop - Lenovo Yoga 13, Core i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD, and it screams.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55 AMG; '13 ML350 4Matic
Rodney, does your link above have everything needed but the laptop? I don't see a hard drive or a disc...? I'm youtubing the process-its a far cry from the standard OBD I I hook up. Trying to understand it all.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
If you look at the photos, there is an external 3.5" USB hard drive attached. That's exactly how mine came (though not from this seller - I did eBay). You connect the USB hard drive to your computer, launch VMware and then load the virtual machine. Mine worked right out of the box. I have since copied the VM files to my laptop's hard drive so I don't have to keep attaching the USB drive.

The multiplexer comes with a bunch of extra adapters, but all you'll need is the OBDII pigtail. Then you attach the multiplexer to the laptop's RS232 port. This is VERY sophisticated software and it can do some dangerous thing, so make sure you know what you are doing. You have to be half mechanic, half computer geek to use this stuff!
Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 PM

2004 CLK 500 Previous: 2001 CLK 430
So you simply use the OBDII spot on the car for using the star system?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Correct. It is a standard OBDII connector, but SDS has he ability to connect ot the proprietary systems that a "generic" OBDII scanner can't.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:34 PM

2004 CLK 500 Previous: 2001 CLK 430
That is wonderful, an investment I will make in the spring for sure.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55 AMG; '13 ML350 4Matic
Awesome, thank you. I am snagging an extra D630 from work and will buy the C3 system. Excited!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:37 PM

gl350
C4

Originally Posted by Rudeney
I bought mine on eBay for about $500. There are two models - C3 and C4. C3 requires an RS-232 serial port (you may be able to use a USB-RS232 adapter, but I've not tried that). That is the system I have. C4 is better for more modern computers that lack RS232 ports as its multiplexer/OBDII interface communicated wirelessly (via wifi).

Now, there are also two types of installation configurations sold. Because the installation of SDS is quite a tedious and lengthy process (plus the hacks required to run it are complex), most of these are sold on a hard drive already installed. In one case, they send you a hard drive that you install as the "CL:" drive of your laptop, but this means you need a compatible machine, such an as IBM T60, or Dell D630. The other installation is better. In this case, they still send you a hard drive, but it uses a VMWARE virtual PC to run, so it work on "any" computer. I have it installed on my old Dell D630 running Windows 8 64-bit and which I use for live connection to the car (since it has the serial pot), but for using SDS in "demo" mode and access to WIS and EPC, I also have the virtual machine installed on my Lenovo Yog (but no serial port, so no live connection to the car).

Like I said, I got mine on eBay for about $500. I think I did one of those "make an offers" and paid $495 delivered. I also saw someone post this a few months back:

Hi Rudeney,

I appreciate your information about the diagnostic tool, I own a GL 350, Could you give me an information about C4? what are the things I need to have, to make it working and some other things that I need to know before I buy one?
Thank You Sir
Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM

gl350
C4

Originally Posted by Rudeney

Hi Rudeney,

Its me again , I forgot to ask you, is there a certain things that I need to be aware of if the Star Diagnostic is legit or fake or scam, you know what I meant?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newes...257212600.html

from this site for example?
thanks again.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:57 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I don't know anything about the seller, but that certainly looks like the typical Chinese C4 setup. I am guessing they just install it natively on the included laptop. Personally, I prefer the virtualized setup. That way, if the original laptop dies, you can just copy it to another one. And you can even run it on any computer without the interface for access to WIS and EPC, and even run SDS in demo mode to get the diagnostic steps on most DTCs.