CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Broken Wheel Lock Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Broken Wheel Lock Key

I replaced my winter tires today and the wheel lock key broke. The ribbon-like metal of the key just sheared off in the lock lug. I did put on all my winter tires and when I torqued the first wheel, the key broke.

I called my buddy in the dealership and he asked me to go in tomorrow. He will use their master key to remove the other 3 lock lugs and replaced them with a new set of lock lugs.

How about the broken lug? The master key will not be able to remove it. My buddy told me that it would be expensive to remove it in the dealership. They would have to drill out the lug and may have to re-thread the hub. I better go somewhere else to remove it.

I googled and found a YouTube video that someone hammered in a smaller socket into the lug and removed the socket with the lug. Is this a workable solution?

Last edited by mis3; 11-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E400 CAB, 2010 Jeep Compass, 2009 E350 Sedan
From the looks of the You tube video it does not seem hard at all. I would go for it before you spend any money on it.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Problem solved. I examined the locking bolt and he metal pieces were wedged into the groove. I used a small screwdriver and with some efforts, pulled out the metal pieces. Then I used MB master socket to remove the locking bolts. My buddy lent me the box of master sockets and there must have 40 sockets inside.

The dealerships does not have the locking bolts in stock (my car is too old) so they would have to order it. I bought 4 regular bolts and replaced all the locking ones.

All OK now and I now have to decide if I still want the locking bolts. I did my research on net and most people don't think they are worth the money and effort. I even went through a tire store and although they sell locking bolts, the guy recommended against it. He said if the thief wants your wheels, locking bolts will not stop them.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I despise locking bolts. I park in a high crime area, so I'm really not worried about it and the hassles of keeping up with the key, hoping it doesn't break, etc.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by Louie D
From the looks of the You tube video it does not seem hard at all. I would go for it before you spend any money on it.
I agree. I read on and the only problem in this method (smaller socket and hammer) is to remove the bolt from the socket. The thief will probably need 4 sockets to steal the 4 wheels. A cheap socket is a few dollars and a MB wheel can cost close to $1k each.

More and more I think these wheel locks do not work well at all.