CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Painted Calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350 2007
Painted Calipers

Would anybody recommend painting brake calipers? I plan on getting 19" rims that will expose my calipers. I think it would look nice if I black them out with caliper paint, but has anybody had results with this?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I painted mine this past summer. I painted them on the car and did not disconnect the calipers, so the inside of the calipers are not painted. I was intending to paint the inside as well but the caliper bolts were so darn tight I said the heck with it.

Used a brake cleaner to wash them down several times.

I taped off everything, making sure the pads and clips were sealed. I used pieces of newspaper to cover the back side opening where the clips are and painter's tape to secure it and attached it to the inner edge of the clip/pad opening. I used paper towel pieces in all the other openings. It stuffs in the openings easily and comes out easily.

After everything was taped, I rubbed on the caliper for awhile with steel wool, then washed it with more brake clean and alcohol. Make sure you cover your car. The mist from the spray paint just goes in the air and and settles. I used a couple large and cheap painters plastic drop cloths taped to the car.

It is time consumming. If you can do two wheels at a time it wil definitely help with the "paint and wait" frustration. They came out really well.

In "round 2" I painted my rotor centers using caliper paint. It, of course would have been better to do the whole thing together. But, both came out very well.

I sprayed a light coat of clear coat on mine. I don't think it was needed however.

I painted mine black. The paint is very thick and glossy. It sheds brake dust very well and I have not noticed any caking of dust on them.

Not sure, but I think I used Dupli-color on the calipers. I used rust-0leum on the rotor centers.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by Fatz
I painted mine this past summer. I painted them on the car and did not disconnect the calipers, so the inside of the calipers are not painted. I was intending to paint the inside as well but the caliper bolts were so darn tight I said the heck with it.

Used a brake cleaner to wash them down several times.

I taped off everything, making sure the pads and clips were sealed. I used pieces of newspaper to cover the back side opening where the clips are and painter's tape to secure it and attached it to the inner edge of the clip/pad opening. I used paper towel pieces in all the other openings. It stuffs in the openings easily and comes out easily.

After everything was taped, I rubbed on the caliper for awhile with steel wool, then washed it with more brake clean and alcohol. Make sure you cover your car. The mist from the spray paint just goes in the air and and settles. I used a couple large and cheap painters plastic drop cloths taped to the car.

It is time consumming. If you can do two wheels at a time it wil definitely help with the "paint and wait" frustration. They came out really well.

In "round 2" I painted my rotor centers using caliper paint. It, of course would have been better to do the whole thing together. But, both came out very well.

I sprayed a light coat of clear coat on mine. I don't think it was needed however.

I painted mine black. The paint is very thick and glossy. It sheds brake dust very well and I have not noticed any caking of dust on them.

Not sure, but I think I used Dupli-color on the calipers. I used rust-0leum on the rotor centers.
listen to this guy