CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How Do You Get to Blower Motor Resistor When it is Encased in Blower Motor Housing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320 clk 2003
How Do You Get to Blower Motor Resistor When it is Encased in Blower Motor Housing

Greetings on this chilly February morning.

I have an issue with either my blower motor resistor or blower motor in my wife's 2003 CLK 320 . . . I have removed the entire blower motor, which includes the resistor and am sitting here dumbfounded staring at it on the kitchen counter.

I was able to confirm that there is 12V running from the car to the blower motor resistor.

Here's my problem. . . when I look at all the DIY videos and the parts websites, the blower motor resistor and the blower motor are clearly separate parts. . . I cannot figure out how to get to the resistor . . . on the fan/squirrel cage side of the blower motor, I can see the plate that covers the blower motor resistor; I can see the power and ground wires that are behind the plate . . . but cannot get to them; when I unscrewed the two screws that held the plate over the blower motor resistor, the fan/squirrel cage obstructs the removal of the resistor plate. . .

On the backside of the blower motor - the side that would face down to the floorboard and the side opposite of the fan/squirrel cage, there doesn't appear to be any way to access the resistor - the housing for the blower motor completely covers the blower motor resistor with the exception of the posts for the resistor. .

How do I separate and isolate the blower motor resistor from the blower motor . . . I can't test the resistor power until I get to the little bugger . . .

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

There are three white tabs on the "underside" of the blower motor housing . . . which appear to extend through the housing to the shaft side of the blower motor assembly (the squirrel cage side) . . . are these part of the solution?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320 clk 2003
Duh . . . figured out the issue I had below . . . I now have the two parts separated (the blower motor resistor and the blower motor) . . .

The wiring from the car is kicking out a nifty and oh-so-appreciated 12v.

I hooked the resistor back up to the power supply from the car (the one testing at 12v).

When i test the posts on the resistor, I'm showing a weak 6 volts. Obviously, that's a problem and suggests a resistor problem. Here's my question:

The problem with the a/c/heater is that the system won't operate. My wife was driving the car with the A/C on months ago - during that trip, the car started to smell like some electrical component was hot - there was a very very heavy electrical "hot" smell in the car - and the system never worked again . . .

If the resistor was the culprit that failed as opposed to the resistor and the motor, would that (a) have given off the heavy odor she observed and (b) would the resistor still be kicking out 6volts - I would have figured the resistor would have burned up and/or would be in a condition where it was not still capable of conducting 6 volts . . .

thoughts?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
That "resistor" is actually an electronic control module. My guess is that it's bad. Have you bench tested the motor to see if it runs without the control module attached?