CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Does these articles apply to my CLK500 BOSE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK500 Pewter
Does these articles apply to my CLK500 BOSE?

I know this topic has been hashed over and over, but there are conflicting opinions. I want to keep my Bose amp and speakers and change my HU to a double din nav. Will these harness adapters work the same in my W209 Bose? I realize there are differences between the W208 HU and mine as far as install but wondered if the electronics were essentially the same.

http://www.la-mbca.com/arti-headunit.html

Another article;

http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/DIY/headunit2.html

Both indicate that the Bose system can remain, keep steering wheel controls while losing the CDC. Anyone?

Last edited by Pilk; 04-02-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The Bose option on the W209 uses the D2B fiber to get the audio signal to the amp, then it's analog from there to the speakers. This has nothing to do with steering wheel controls - those are CAN bus signals, not fiber.

You will need a device that can take the analog output from an aftermarket radio and convert that to D2B fiber. The first article talks about the PAC OEM2. That is not a fiber connection - it uses analog wiring and just correctly balances the signals. I believe someone did make such an analog to D2B fiber device, but it was crazy expensive (and probably no longer available). My advice is to run low-level wiring to the trunk, then install you own amp(s) there and tie them into the analog speaker wiring "downstream" of the Bose amp.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK500 Pewter
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The Bose option on the W209 uses the D2B fiber to get the audio signal to the amp, then it's analog from there to the speakers. This has nothing to do with steering wheel controls - those are CAN bus signals, not fiber.

You will need a device that can take the analog output from an aftermarket radio and convert that to D2B fiber. The first article talks about the PAC OEM2. That is not a fiber connection - it uses analog wiring and just correctly balances the signals. I believe someone did make such an analog to D2B fiber device, but it was crazy expensive (and probably no longer available). My advice is to run low-level wiring to the trunk, then install you own amp(s) there and tie them into the analog speaker wiring "downstream" of the Bose amp.
So the Bose systems changed from the w208 to the w209? Ok...that clears up all the confusion I see regarding the Bose to aftermarket systems. I think, given the complexity and not wanting to tear it all apart for now I'll just use my iphone for navi and maybe do the tape deck mod for adding an aux in.
Another question. If I were going to use this company do add the aux in (or bluetooth);
http://factoryradioservice.com/merce...c762ec6a888ee3

Can I use my car with the stereo out without throwing malfunction errors?

Last edited by Pilk; 04-03-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, the absence of the radio will cause no problems. Maybe other than hearing every little squeak and rattle.