CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W209 Instrument Cluster not working upon start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 500
W209 Instrument Cluster not working upon start up

Hi All,

I have a bit of an issue. My instrument cluster is completely off (nothing on at all) every time I start up my car. I have to take the fuse out to reset it every time. I pulled the entire cluster out and checked the connectors, cleaned them I have a new battery also. I have spoken to a couple of professional shops and they are wanting me to ship my cluster to "test" it out but can't guarantee anything. I can't really drive around without a cluster.

Has anyone ran into this problem? I've looked at ordering a replacement cluster, but the mileage won't transfer over into the new cluster, leaving the infamous ------- instead.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
My guess is that your cluster has failed. There are some shops that can repair some problems (mostly LCD and backlight failures), but ultimately, you'll probably have to get a new one through the dealer. Mileage is stored both in the cluster and the EIS, and the cluster and EIS get "married" to the vehicle. If the odometer reading between the EIS and cluster has a mismatch, or either is seen as "not married" to the vehicle, you will get "------" on the odometer display. This is what will happen if you install a used cluster from another vehicle. The dealer can order and "marry" a new virgin cluster. I have 'heard of some shops that can erase a used cluster to make it appear as virgin, but you;ll still need SDS to marry it to the car.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:34 AM

clk
Originally Posted by klsymes
Hi All,

I have a bit of an issue. My instrument cluster is completely off (nothing on at all) every time I start up my car. I have to take the fuse out to reset it every time. I pulled the entire cluster out and checked the connectors, cleaned them I have a new battery also. I have spoken to a couple of professional shops and they are wanting me to ship my cluster to "test" it out but can't guarantee anything. I can't really drive around without a cluster.

Has anyone ran into this problem? I've looked at ordering a replacement cluster, but the mileage won't transfer over into the new cluster, leaving the infamous ------- instead.

Any help is much appreciated.
Hi just had the same issue, have found water in side dash fuse area, hoping it will dry out, fingers crossed
Old 01-27-2023, 01:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK350 Convertible 2007 W209
Originally Posted by klsymes
Hi All, I have a bit of an issue. My instrument cluster is completely off (nothing on at all) every time I start up my car. I have to take the fuse out to reset it every time. I pulled the entire cluster out and checked the connectors, cleaned them I have a new battery also. I have spoken to a couple of professional shops and they are wanting me to ship my cluster to "test" it out but can't guarantee anything. I can't really drive around without a cluster.  Has anyone ran into this problem? I've looked at ordering a replacement cluster, but the mileage won't transfer over into the new cluster, leaving the infamous ------- instead. Any help is much appreciated.
I was getting a squiggly sine running up my dash that kept growing. You couldn't read through it. I ran an electronics shop who knew all about it. He replaced my circuits and fixed the problem. Mileage was unchanged
Old Today, 07:23 PM

Hello. This happened on my 2002 W211, then the fin engaged and the odometer stopped working. When I opened the accumulator there was water. Does anyone have any experience with this.