CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Things to Check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Things to Check

I'm planning on looking at (and most likely purchasing) a 2003 CLK 500 coupe this weekend.

Car is in pristine condition and is truly a garage queen. 38,xxx miles, it is fully loaded with almost all options for that model year.

I'm friendly with an MB technician who has said that the 500 v8 and the 5 speed transmission is pretty much bullet proof in terms of reliability (expect for a wire from the transmission that may leak tranny fluid which is resolved with a replacement).

Anything else that you guys have experienced over the years and would suggest I checkout? Even though the car is low on mileage - at around 11/12 years old I assume things may need maintenance/changing due to age?

Thoughts/Suggesstions? I think it's a great deal @~10k.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:18 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, the leaky pilot bushing on the transmission electrical connector is a common problem and a very easy fix. Check the radiator to make sure it doesn't have the Valeo:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...42&postcount=3

Another common problem (and also an easy fix) are leaky valve/head cover gaskets.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Yes, the leaky pilot bushing on the transmission electrical connector is a common problem and a very easy fix. Check the radiator to make sure it doesn't have the Valeo:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...42&postcount=3

Another common problem (and also an easy fix) are leaky valve/head cover gaskets.
Thanks for the feedback Rudeney. It appears that the car does have the Valeo radiator, so I was able to talk the owner down $750 off the car for that as well as for a few other minor issues that need to be fixed (common issues - 3rd brake light cracked/broken, etc). Otherwise everything else looked great in the engine bay. Looks like it was never cleaned or detailed, so any leaks would be noticeable, but the engine bay was still far from dirty as it was always garage kept and never even driven in rain!

I'm stoked about getting this car for just a bit over $10k. At only 38k, the vehicle drove like brand-new. The body and paint was in perfect condition, just some very minor swirl marks which can be removed easily with a good detail job. It even had factory bi-xenons which I was surprised to learn.

The car-fax was clean and confirmed what my MB tech friend said regarding vehicle service. Always dealer maintained and always recommended maintenance has been performed. Many parts that would need to be replaced simply due to vehicle age were already taken care of (bearings, struts, lubrications, etc).

How urgent would you say the radiator should be replaced along with a tranny fluid flush and change (as well as the transmission wire replacement).

Is there anyway to check how "contaminated" the tranny fluid is with coolant? I think these transmissions were designed for lifetime fill, so I'm not sure that there is an easy way to check.

Last edited by jctevere; 07-06-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You can do a glycol test on the transmission fluid. My advice would be to replace it. They used seals that deteriorated. Also, the transmissions were sold as "sealed for life" but they really ought to have regular maintenance. I suggest a fluid and filter change every 40K miles. You won't have a torque converter drain, so you'll get less than half the fluid out, but that is better than "never" changing it.