CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sway Bar Bushings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Smile Sway Bar Bushings

Well, I had the squeaky suspension which turned out to be my bushings - I had read a DIY by Yidney that stated the bushings and sway bar were ONE so I tracked down some "Super Lube" jacked up my car and to my surprise my sway bar bushings are removable, nonetheless I did grease all 4 of them (front and back) and now my squeaky suspension is no longer. I do want to add that initialy I only greased the outside of the bushing but it still made a bit of noise after install so I removed and greased the inside also (the part that wraps around the sway bar) - is this recommendable?

So, my other question is since mine are removable can they be replaced separately or if I replace them will my new ones come as one unit?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Through MY2003, they used bushings designed to be replaced when they hardened and became noisy. Beginning somewhere within the MY2004 production, they switched to using bushings that are fused to the anti-sway bar and are to be lubricated and not replaced. On my CLK, I didn't realize this and I ended up removing my fused bushings and replacing them with the older style removable bushings. They were a slightly difference shape where they mate to the bracket, but they still worked and have been quiet. I suppose even with the removable bushings, it wouldn't hurt to lube them.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Through MY2003, they used bushings designed to be replaced when they hardened and became noisy. Beginning somewhere within the MY2004 production, they switched to using bushings that are fused to the anti-sway bar and are to be lubricated and not replaced. On my CLK, I didn't realize this and I ended up removing my fused bushings and replacing them with the older style removable bushings. They were a slightly difference shape where they mate to the bracket, but they still worked and have been quiet. I suppose even with the removable bushings, it wouldn't hurt to lube them.
where can you find replacements for MY2003 CLK55?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Measure the diameter of your anti-sway bar (use an open-end wrench or a measuring caliper). It's probably 22mm. The part number is A203323xx85 where xx is either 20, 21 or 22 based on the diameter.