CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Automatic car wash & cabrio??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Automatic car wash & cabrio??

Although I am considered a clean car nut by my colleagues at work, I do not hand wash our cars in winter, since it is too cold. I have always taken them to a touchless car wash in winter, just to get the worst debris off the car, followed by a polish and wax in spring.

However, this is our first winter with our new CLK320 cabrio, and so far I have only hand washed it. It needs to be washed real bad, so I would like some opinions on whether it is safe to take it through the touchless car wash. I am particularly concerned about affecting the water repellency of the top. I have not used any shampoo on the top so far, just rinsing it with water or brushing it with a soft brush.

- Thanks
Old 12-21-2003, 03:56 PM

I was told by a guy who does the detailing for a local mercedes dealership that automatic carwashes with brushes are ok, ones with soft-cloth are better, but to NEVER NEVER take a cabriolet through a touchless car wash. The chemicals they use for the "touchless" process will definitely remove the water-repelling characteristics of the cabrio top. Touchless is fine for coupes, but NOT for cabs.

I can't back up his claim with any other info I've found on the web, but he was so emphatic and wasn't a detailing "snob'... he was fine with any type of automatic car washes for MBs EXCEPT the combination of touchless systems with cabrio tops.

I decided to listen to him and not take any chances... the cabrio top is just too expensive to re-treat or worse, to replace!

--josh
Old 12-21-2003, 06:29 PM

'02 CLK 430, '02 ML 55, several Harleys
winter care for the cab

Being in central PA, I share your concern during the winter months. After having several black CLK's, I now have the '04 500 Cab Designo. Anytime the temp is above 40, I go to the hand car wash bay, soak the car, then wash with a diaper, rush home and dry and detail in our heated garage. Has always worked for me. Hope that helps !! Stay warm