CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Key Fob Challenge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2014 | 01:57 PM

2008 CLK 320 Cdi
Key Fob Challenge

Please help me. I've googled til I am blue in the face and can't find answer.

I have a 58 plate clk 320 Cdi that hasn't been driven for 10 days. I've just gone to open it and key fob didn't work. So tried other key. Same thing. Used blade key to unlock and expected alarm to go off but didn't. I then put key in ignition but it wouldn't turn and there was a light flashing on the tow away button so am guessing security activated to prevent the car being towed.....???

I'm at a complete loss as both keys are having the same issue. Won't open boot to doors remotely and if I use the blade key to open the door, I can't get the ignition turned to start it using the remote key. What has happened in 10 days? I've never had this issue and am flapping a bit over it.

Please help me!!!

Thank you.
Charlotte
Old 10-04-2014 | 05:55 PM

2004 CLK 500
Possibly a dead battery
Old 10-05-2014 | 05:04 AM

2008 CLK 320 Cdi
Originally Posted by Gary C
Possibly a dead battery
Thanks for responding, if that's the case then why can I not even turn the key in the ignition? I wouldn't be able to jump start, right?

Sorry, just a simple female looking for some help!
Old 10-05-2014 | 06:08 AM

2004 CLK 500
Actually, if you jump it the key should turn. It needs power to work. I'm sure some of these guys on here that know way more than me will chime in. But, long story short, I just installed a new battery and I didn't notice the plastic cap on the negative terminal. When I went to start it the key would not turn in the ignition. Once I realized my error the car started.
Old 10-05-2014 | 07:19 AM

2007 CLK350 Cabriolet
if the battery is dead, the key will not turn in the ignition...I found this out recently while working on my 2008 CLK350...having my usual experience with GM cars that cut off the battery after some time, I left an interior light on while working and of course, ran the battery down...charged the battery up...car worked fine (but some settings needed to be reset)...

Bill
Old 10-05-2014 | 12:09 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
In order for the EIS (electronic ignition switch) to recognize the key, there must be enough voltage to power the circuitry. Until the EIS recognizes a valid key, it will stay locked and not allow it to be rotate to the start position. These cars use very large batteries, and often, when they die, the metal plates inside them warp and touch, causing a short. This makes the battery act like a very large resistor. When that happens, you often can't even jump start the car unless you take the dead battery out of the circuit by removingthe lead from its negative post. If you do remove the lead and the car jump starts and runs fine, then it's definitely a bad battery.