CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A/C Compressor and Alternator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
A/C Compressor and Alternator

so here is my little conundrum for you MB experts. I bought a car in Florida that had been meticulously maintained, but had sat for a year before i bought it. Driving it through Georgia the A/C compressor wheel shattered and shredded my serpentine belt. I redid the belt bypassing the A/C and continued driving. About 150 miles later the alternator died. I had to then replace that on the fly too. What could have caused them to go out, are they related? Also, what else should i look out for if there is one problem that could affect more components on the serpentine belt?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I suspect that when the A/C compressor pulley broke and shredded the serpentine belt that bits of it lodged int he alternator. On my C240, the idler pulley cracked and shredded the belt and it literally wound it up in the alternator - inside the housing! I took the alternator off and spend an hour on the bench picking out all the pieces of steel-reinforced rubber belt.