CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 240 2005 - Help Please - Shifter Stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Question CLK 240 2005 - Help Please - Shifter Stuck

Hi All,

Urgent help would be much appreciated as may need to return this used vehicle immediately.

Picked up my 2005 W209 CLK240 coupe just 3 short days ago and have had various issues, the overwhelmingly most important one of which is causing some concern.

Car background; good aesthetic condition, apparently clean FSH from MB, 66k miles, auto. I am essentially a car novice.

Shifter will now stick at D/N and refuse to travel up to P/R, even when car is stationary. This appears to be more likely the case when I've been driving at high speed and then subsequently come to park. I can reliably detect it has happened as the C/S button no longer has any response on the dash; with C/S not toggling mode as button is pressed. The car will also fail to down-shift when this has happened; foot flat to the floor simply pulls away in 4th gear instead of down-shifting. Finally stopped, to remove the key, I must switch off the engine, then shift back to P, then remove key. Earlier today, the entire gear indicator section on dash disappeared (no P/R/N/D and no C/S displayed), whilst engine still running and various gears engaged.

Car also seems to 'clunk' into gear now when engaging D and R using this method (key to off, change to park, re-ignite, change to desired gear - done EVERY time switch between R/D is needed).

This is completely unworkable of course and I intend to return the car for a refund asap; but would be interested to hear whether this sounds like a common / easily fixable problem. I'm technical, but a car noob. Car was bought from a moderately reputable dealer who appear happy to do some work to make it right.

Is it likely to be firmware (fried chip in shift housing) or hardware (physical issue with transmission)? Should I just call it a day and give the car back?

If relevant, another one of the issues was substantial but not violent shuddering coming on when the car is idle, at lights etc. Noticed this before the shifter problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
D
Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I suspect that you have a bad gear selector. It's not a common problem, but the symptoms you have seem to point to that.