CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

TV Tuner for Command System?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
TV Tuner for Command System?

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether a TV tuner can be added to the Command system. In Europe such an option is available. Mercedes here in the US contends that there is no plan to offer a TV tuner as an option for the US spec Command system. Any thoughts on whether an aftermarket tuner could be "plugged into" the US Command system? Apparently the TV tuner available in Europe with PAL (not NTSC) standard is built such that audio video inputs allow an external DVD player to input via the TV tuner into the Command sytem as well. Further question whether some jerry rigging could allow forfDVD's to in addition, or alternatively, be played in the Command System????

An additional question. Could one simply purchase the TV tuner option offered in Europe and hook it up to the US spec Command system for the sole purpose of using it as a conduit for attaching a DVD player (since obviously the PAL tv standard is not going to allow for playing NTSC broadcasts)? If so this would seem to be a less costly way to at least add DVD capability to the Command Center without having to do major rewiring and alterations.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
You are correct. The Euro TV Tuner is in fact PAL. Obviously it will not work here in the U.S. with our NTSC standards. However, you can use it as a pass through for DVD, etc. The catch is that you must also have your COMAND unit programmed with the Euro software in order to enable and have use of the TV Tuner and TV button. I don't know the ramifactions of using the Euro COMAND software here in the U.S. I'm sure some of our Euro/U.K. members such as Richard may be able to provide some information on this.

There is also a company in New York that has successfully modified the COMAND 2.5 units to include a RCA pass through for DVD, etc. I'm sure they can modify the COMAND 2.0 units like yours as well. Do a seach on TV in the forums and I'm sure you will find the past conversations about this.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:35 PM

www.nav-tv.com

They work it so the nav system allows you to watch tv.

-Petey
Old 03-25-2002, 10:40 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
No reference to 2.0

Thanks for the website, but it only references the Command 2.5. Is 2.5 the newest version of Command which comes with the new 2003 SL?

The website description of making major modifications was what I was hoping to avoid.

Last edited by northbenz; 03-25-2002 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: No reference to 2.0

Originally posted by northbenz
Thanks for the website, but it only references the Command 2.5. Is 2.5 the newest version of Command which comes with the new 2003 SL?

The website description of making major modifications was what I was hoping to avoid.
COMAND 2.5 is the COMAND that is currently used in 2000+ S and CL Class vehicles.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 mercedes clk coupe
Re: Re: No reference to 2.0

Originally posted by awiner

COMAND 2.5 is the COMAND that is currently used in 2000+ S and CL Class vehicles.
go to ur local stereo pace have them take off ur screen fly to NY have them install the unit and bring it back

its not that hard

plus if u really want to avoid all that get a after marker tv and dvd player like pioneer 7300