CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rattle Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350 CDI AMG Sports, BMW e92 335i (sold), CLK240 Avantgarde (sold)
Rattle Sound

Hi,

Took my car in yesterday for a warrenty service for a rattle sound that was coming from the left hand side. I was certain it was the window that was rattling because I've even wind the window down to test if the noise was still there and it wasn't. Saw the Service manager who said it will just require an adjustment on the window and that my car will be ready on the same day.

Later in the day I received a call from the Service manager who told me that it turned out to be a loose cataylic that was causing the rattle...what the f@#k? .....anyway he said that they've order 2 cataylic (V6, one for each side) from Germany to replace with the existing ones just to be on the safe side, they will call me to install when it's arrive.

At the moment the cataylic has been tightened and the rattle seems to have gone away although I think I have heard it once but only just one single tapped noise this morning on the way to work. Will listen out again this afternoon.

Now I'm thinking since the rattle is gone should I take the car back to get the cataylic replace? Any suggestion will be appriciated.

Cheers.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:03 PM

2001 CLK320
Get the replacement cats...

if they're under warranty - have them replaced.

The MB cats are very expensive, plus if the monolith elements are breaking up, the pieces can blow downstream and cause clogs or restrictions in the exhaust system. You'll get poor performance and bad fuel economy.

The V type engines use two cats per engine bank and the USD for the pipe/cat assembly lists for around $1,500 to $1,600 for each side.

So with the potential replacement of 4 cats, it could get very expensive if you had to pick up the bill yourself...
Old 01-28-2004, 12:00 AM

Wow, cool, thanks for that, I will definitely wait for the Service guy to call me now.

So is there actaully 4 cats on the CLK? I thought it would only be 2, 1 for each side.

Once again, thanks for the info Hal H
Old 01-28-2004, 05:46 AM

Hi Kaiju
We have a CLA320 which also has a rattle on the left hand rear side - MB service changed the entire rear trim panel but the noise is still there...
BTW which dealer in Sydney did you go to?
Old 02-01-2004, 06:06 PM

Best to try to work out where the problem is coming from, test by winding down the window a quarter way and listen for the rattle, if its not there than you will know it is that window that is causing the rattle.

....having said that, the noise has actually came back and I have reported to them the next day. Will be going back there again in about 4 weeks time when the catalystic arrive. They are still going ahead with that and will look into the window again because I am certain its the window that is causing the problem, when the window is up, its rattling, when its down, the rattle is gone. They will get a mechanic to go for a ride with me so I can show him what noise it is and where it's coming from.

I went to Morrison's service centre at Artarmon, got the car from them.

CLA?? is that a C-Class Sports Couple?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 500
I had the same problem with my car...
The windon rattles when ridding on uneven surfaces...

The dealer tried to regulate the windows which took care of the problem for about a week, but it came back.

I took it in again and they replaced the window regulator, that took care of the problem!