CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Comand fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w209 clk500 elegance cabriolet
Smile Comand fault

Hi, just bought a 53 plate w209 clk500 cab, just 40k miles. Driving it home (450 miles), the Comand Sat Nav and radio was working perfectly. When I got home I loaded the cd multi changer with CDs. The display said there were no CDs in the changer. The changer would not eject, and I could see that there was a cd jam. Then I did what is probably a very silly thing. I tried to ease the cd back in place with a thin metal blade. I didn't succeed, but what I have succeeded in doing is rendering the Comand system dead. I thought perhaps a fuse had gone, so I checked fuse 64 which is fine.

Any ideas?

Possibly unconnected, the analogue clock was not working when I bought the car, and driving it in the dark for the first time I discovered he instrument panel lights are not working. The needles are illuminated.

Help!
Thanks.
Mike
Old 07-14-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
If your lucky this is just a case of dead battery, but its unlikely, usually when your battery is low the computer will turn off certain elements in the car and that included the instrument panel. Its pretty unlikely its a dead battery because usually the whole instrument cluster shuts down not jujst the clock or lighting. Anything other then a dead battery and your looking at an expensive repair when it comes to your instrument panel. About your comand system, exactly what doyou mean by dead? the whole system stopped working?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 S550
Not sure if you got your problem taken care of. I have bought about 3 months ago a 2011 s550 50k miles and the COMMAND went dead. No NAV/radio/no Bluetooth. At night it looks like its trying to reboot itself but doesn't come on. My mechanic tried to reset it to no success. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Jim
Old 08-03-2015, 11:46 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Also check fuse 24 (cabin panel - end of the dash on driver's side). There is also a fuse on the back of the COMAND unit itself.

I doubt that the instrument cluster illumination problem is related. Unfortunately, it's probably a defective cluster, and the official fix is to visit a dealer and pay for a new cluster and installation. In US$, this will be over $2K. Not sure about your country's prices (TW, pleas update your forum user's profile with car and location info).

The clock on the cluster is tied to the COMAND system, so if COMAND is not working, neither will the clock.