CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help! Car won't unlock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209(sold), W212, X204
Exclamation Help! Car won't unlock

So i left my car in the driveway and haven't driven it in 2 days... Tried to unlock it just now and the car won't open. Usually the lights flash etc.

The little red light on the keyfob still flashes... so i'm not sure if its the keyfob battery. The anti-theft light inside the car is also still flashing, so i'm not sure if its the car battery (i have a feeling it is though).

Anyways, if i open the car using the small metal key will the alarm go off? Its late here so i don't want to wake the neighborhood up.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be Supposing it is the car battery.... anyone have suggestions on which one to get?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Use the mechanical key. The alarm will go off, but quickly put the key inside the ignition and the alarm will go off. Then check the battery voltage and see what's going on and go from there.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:40 PM

W209(sold), W212, X204
So it ended up being the battery. The alarm light wasn't flashing this morning, so i was able to open the car without it going off.

I picked up a AutoCraft GoldBattery from the local advance auto parts (Costed me $114 after coupons and returning the old one). I wanted to get a OEM replacement from the dealer but nearest one i had was an hour away. I guess this is the best i can get, price is awesome too.

Replacing the battery was really easy. BTW if anyone is doing this and has their battery out --- don't forget to clear out the clogged windshield drain hose thats on the left! Mines was so clogged up i had to run a metal wire through it to pry out the dirt.

Now my next question is.... what caused my battery to drain. I bought my car preowned so i'm not sure when the last time the battery was changed.

Last edited by Eojj; 10-11-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 CLS63, 2001 ML430, 2012 e350 coupe
not necessarily a battery drain unless you left the lights on, the battery was probably just due, These cars i noticed batteries dont last as long
Old 10-11-2015, 05:21 PM

W209(sold), W212, X204
Originally Posted by gixxerboy
not necessarily a battery drain unless you left the lights on, the battery was probably just due, These cars i noticed batteries dont last as long
Yeah i had my lights on Auto, so it couldn't be from that. I suspect it was probably just due as well.

I've been having issues with my driver side seat not lifting up properly when I try to gain access to the rear. The driver seat squeaks like crazy now so I was wondering if its not latched correctly somehow and is constantly trying to move to it's normal position causing a drain on the battery. Been trying to play around it for quite sometime now but no luck
Old 10-23-2015, 04:51 PM

W209(sold), W212, X204
Update: Didn't drive my car for 3 days and now i'm having the same issue again. Jump started it and everything seems to be good now... I just got a brand new battery so the only thing i can think of is something causing the battery to drain.

How can i test the electricals to see whats draining power? Fuses? I've read its common for the power seats to drain power. Is there anyway i can just unplug the fuses to that connection? if yes, which ones should i take out?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by gixxerboy
Don't last as long as what? I'm still on my factory battery and somebody else on here was thinking of getting his first new battery on a car several years older than mine.