CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How do you find bad control arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
How do you find bad control arm bushings?

This might be a dumb question but how does the dealerships find which control arm bushing/ball joint is bad? The dealership told me my FR lower control arm bushing was going... So I put the car up on stands, visually inspected and tried pulling on it. I can't tell a difference between it and any of the other bushings. I did notice I was able to turn the tie rod ball joint back and forth pretty easy so I'm going to do those.

Other than waiting for clunking noises what's the trick to finding bad bushings/ ball joints?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
With a screen name like yours, I would think we'd be asking you these questions. Bushings are usually torn. They usually tear in a semi-circle or arc in about the middle of the rubber. If you have flexed it up and down, and looked carefully at both sides all the way around and it all looks perfect, then I don't know why they say its bad - although I think certain bushing on the front are fluid filled, so there may be a leak. Ball joints can be harder because you have to feel for play, and that can be hard because they are loaded with spring pressure or weight. Unless you do it right they can feel tight and be totally shot. But tie rod ends are another matter. You can usually easily rotate the ends up and down as far as they go - maybe 10 degrees each way. But unless they have play they are probably ok.

Last edited by Yidney; 10-23-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
Thanks Yidney... Maybe I didn't look close enough, I'll take another look. Screen name applies to electronics and software. Vehicle engineering is slightly different