CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Remote garage door opener

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Remote garage door opener

I am looking for a new garage door opener. Upon my research, I found out that the remote garage opener (Homelink) in my 2004 w209 would not work with the new garage door openers. Have you guys experienced this challenge?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
this is a problem with almost all mercs.. but there is a solution. contact homelink support and they will help you out. I've heard they reprogram it using the buttons.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
If your garage door opener (the actual garage door opener on your house) is relative new it will have a learn button on the opener itself. You need to engage this learn button when you are trying to marry the car button to the house opener. This well explained in your owner's manual.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
One question to ask (and I do not know the answer) is "Can the garage door transmitter in my car support the new 'rolling code' door openers?" Almost all current garage door openers use this "rolling code" technology to deter break-ins. The system uses a different digital code each time it is opened or closed. The older built-in transmitters often do not support this technology and cannot be programmed to operate them.

My last car was a 2001. We changed our door opener last year and the '01 transmitter could not match the new door opener. We had to use the "clicker" transmitter that came with the door opener until we bought the new car.

I'm just not sure what year the MB built-in transmitters became rolling-code compliant, so I can't say whether your 2004 will be or not.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
I was told that I have to buy this Compatibility Bridge to work with the new garage door opener.

http://www.chamberlain.com/homelink/...ibility-bridge
Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The Homelink transmitted in your car will support rolling code garage door openers. What you have to do is first "learn" your garage door transmitter into one of Homelink buttons. Then, on the garage door opener itself, there should be a "sync" button that you press, then you press the newly-taught button on the Homelink, and now it's all programmed.

I have a home alarm system that uses a different type of binary encoded transmission, and the Homelink won't handle that. I am not aware of any garage door openers using that sort of communication system, but I suppose there could be some, and that could be an issue.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
I called Chamberlain and they confirmed that the Homelink in my car would not work.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/liftm...21439917914472

Rudeney: I will certainly try your way first before going to an alternate route.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:11 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Another bit of advice - before starting the process, totally reset the Homelink. Do this by simultaneously pressing and holding the two outer buttons. Keep them held for about 20-30 seconds until the indicator light blinks. The Homelink is now totally erased. Follow the instructions to learn a button from your Chamberlain transmitter. Once that it done, press the button on the Chamberlain opener then press the Hoomelink button. This will will synchronize the rolling codes.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:34 PM

05 CLK320 Cabriolet W209 & 2011 BMW X3
I have a Genie garage door opener with rolling codes. I tried clearing the Homelink in the car (2005 CLK320) as Rodney described then I climbed my ladder to press the button on the opener. No good. I must have spent at least an hour trying to get the Homelink to work. I wish I had a nickel for each time I climbed my ladder.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:52 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
There are a few garage door systems that are incompatible with Homelink, but those are mostly the newer style that are web-enabled. I have successfully programmed probably 30 of these, including Sears, Genie and Chamberlain, as well as some no-name "contractor" units. I have found that the best step is to first erase the Homelink, and if anything fails, erase it and start over.

Here are the full instructions (fromt he MBZ owenr's manual):

Erasing the remote control memory:

1. Turn electronic key in starter switch to position 1 or 2.
2. Simultaneously holding down the left and right side buttons for approximately 20 seconds, or until the control lamp blink rapidly, will erase the codes of all three channels.

Programming or reprogramming the integrated remote control:

1. Turn electronic key in starter switch to position 1 or 2.
2. Hold the end of the hand-held transmitter of the device you wish to train approximately 2 to 5 inches (5 cm to 12 cm) away from the surface of the integrated remote control located on the inside rear view mirror, keeping the indicator lamp in view
3. Using both hands, simultaneously push the handheld transmitter button and the desired integrated remote control button. Do not release the buttons until completing step 4.
4. The indicator lamp on the integrated remote control will flash, first slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator lamp flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released (the rapid flashing lamp indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal). To program the remaining two buttons, follow steps 1 through 4.

Rolling code programming:

To train a garage door opener (or other rolling code devices) with the rolling code feature, follow these instructions after completing the “Programming” portion of this text. (A second person may make the following training procedures quicker and easier.)

1. Locate training button on the garage door opener motor head unit. Exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is difficulty locating the transmitting button, reference to garage door opener operator’s manual.
2. Press “training” button on the garage door opener motor head unit (which activated the “training light”).

Note:
Following step 2, there are 30 seconds to initiate step 3.
3. Firmly press and release the programmed integrated remote control transmit button. Press and release same button a second time to complete the training process. (Some garage door openers may required you to do this procedure a third time
to complete the training.)
4. Confirm the garage door operation by pressing the programmed button on the integrated remote control transmitter.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Rudeney: I tried your instructions and it still did not work. I have to keep the remote clicker in the car or buy the compatibility bridge (Chamberlain).

Another way is to use wi-fi. This model came with a little box to connect to my wireless router and I can check and open/close the garage door anywhere via a remote phone.

Last edited by mis3; 12-12-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:46 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
OK, you must have some new-style transmitter/receiver on this. I guess with it being a WiFi-enabled model, they have changed to operating frequencies and probably use a digital transmission. I have an alarm system in my house that uses remote transmitters that are digital and cannot be learned to Homelink.