CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 10:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK 500, yr 2005
Old thread; same subject; NEED ADVICE/PART NUMBER
I need to replace a windshield on a CLK 500, 2005. coupe. Two local glass shops have told me no replacement generic windshields available. I bought a windshield from a 2005 amg 55 from a junk yard ($100.00 which is a lot cheaper than the $648 Mercedes wants for their replacement, and the Mercedes is not an original part) which should fit and I have cleaned it up. I removed the three left, right and center metal trim and rubber pieces around the windshield and saw what appears to be a thick gasket/seal between the glass and the frame of the car. I do not see any such seal/gasket from the online Mercedes dealers websites. I asked a installer at the "Glass Doctor" retailer if indeed that was a seal that I needed to purchase, or perhaps he had a generic piece that would do the job. He said that they had no generic seal and Mercedes windows are different than most. SO MY QUESTION IS: does that seal/gasket I see have a name and part number, because I do not see one online? Does a seal that surrounds the underside of the windshield come in a Mercedes "adhesive kit" and which kit?
I did contact my local Mercedes dealer earlier about a windshield and the part gal came back with the windshield and "upper" trim/seal only. I do not need a "upper" piece I think she was incorrect with that info.
Has anyone replaced a windshield lately and how did you get it accomplished? I'm at a dead end with a crack from side to side across my currant windshield.

Last edited by zip439; 03-02-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK 500, yr 2005
FOLLOWUP: I got bad info from Glass Doctor tech. The visible seal is actually the adhesive according to a tech at a Mercedes authorized body shop. There is no seal/gasket under the glass, just a thick (about 3/16") band of adhesive. They use two sometimes three tubes of adhesive to set the windshield. The Mercedes shop wanted $275 to put my used windshield in, but the shop I usually use will do it for $200. So total cost was $107 for the used OEM windshield, about $60 for gas going and returning from junk yard, and the $200 for installation: should get it installed this coming Monday. Moral of the story; If you get nicked on your windshield get to a glass shop for a repair ASAP before it starts to crack.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch! Perhaps, it's the new normal with all the shortages and such but I had a new aftermarket windshield installed about a year ago for $350 all in. Plus, the installer came to my house. Unfortunately I've gotten three chips since then of which one is in my direct field of vision. I'm thinking about selling my car and I'll need to replace it again beforehand.