CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Moving 30pin Iphone adapter from glove box to center console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK550
Moving 30pin Iphone adapter from glove box to center console

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to move the iphone plug in the glove box to the center console? I tried an extension cord adapter and it wouldn't register. Is there a way to completely remove that cord and install a usb in the center console? I would like to maintain correct integration along with improved plug and go usage. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Is this the dealer or factory installed OEM iPod interface? If so, the 30-pin cord has no USB interface. It connects via an RJ45 port on the control unit, which is usually mounted under the passenger side floorboard. That control unit then connects to the back of the radio head unit via another wiring harness. It is certainly possible to reroute the cable to the center console.

If the cable isn't long enough, you could try an RJ45 extension cable, or relocate the control unit. To get to the control unit, pull the carpet down from under the dash on the passenger side Remove the foam panel you'll find underneath and then there's a metal panel. It is held in place by a few a nuts. Remove them and the panel will tilt down where you should find the iPod interface control unit. I'd disconnect the wiring harness for the 30-pin iPod connector and go from there to see how much cable you have to work with.

These WIS docs may help:

http://benzbits.com/w209/ipod/Retrof...%20harness.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/ipod/Retrof...0interface.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/ipod/Retrof...%20harness.pdf
Old 01-21-2016, 02:20 PM

2008 CLK550
Thank you. I was aware of the harness. This is the factory 30pin in the glove box. I tried using an extension cable but wasn't able to get it to work. I will try an "official" apple cable next. Ideally, I would like to have a more usable plug adapter in the center console.. i.e. USB. However I'm not sure how that can be accomplished.
If there are any other solutions to getting phone/music integration at a low cost and maintaining the existing audio system I'm completely open to suggestions.

I understand a Bluetooth module is an option but cost approximately $1,000 to have installed.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The OEM Bluetooth is only for hands free calling, not streaming. Your OEM iPod interface does not use USB. If you will look at the third link I posted, the diagram on the 2nd page, item #5 you will see is an RJ45 connector. If you want to extend the length of this harness to the center console, I'd look into an RJ45 extension.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:35 AM

2008 CLK550
Thanks... this has been very helpful. So just for clarity... First, I would need to remove the command center, disconnect the ipod connector from the wiring harness, then add the new RJ45 extension connector to the wiring harness, finally plug the existing ipod cable to the extension and route the cable to the center console. This approach won't change the technical interface or add any functionality but will allow me to relocate the existing jack.

Please confirm I'm correct. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:56 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
If the only thing you want to do is relocate the 30-pin iPod connector to the center console (say in the armrest cubby), then you should not need to touch the head unit. The wiring harness with the 30-pin connector runs from the glove box to a "black box" interface that is usually installed under the passenger foot well. That's where it plugs in as an RJ45 connector so hat I am suggesting is get an RJ45 extension cable and use that to extend the 30-pin to the armrest.