CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Restraint malfunction after replacing seat belt retractor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Restraint malfunction after replacing seat belt retractor

I just replaced my driver side seat belt retractor and when I installed the used-new one I get the "SRS Restraint Malfuntion..." error message. The seat belt locks and retracts, but it looks like the sensor is defective, or the cable.

I don't believe anything is broken on the plug. There is a switch on the plug that I have tried in both positions with the same results. I can try reseating the plug, but wanted to try here first in case this needs to be reprogrammed.

I was also going to try the original again to see if the error clears then.

2004 CLK500
Old 05-13-2017, 03:24 AM

tae.one - You get anywhere with this?
I have the same issue in my 2004 CLK320
Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 AM

CLK500
I haven' gotten around to buying another sensor yet. The sensor that I bought used is indeed defective, most likely due to being in a crash.

I would opt for a new sensor which is about $300. Easy enough to install yourself.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:29 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Even after you fix the problem, you are going to need SDS (or an MBZ-specific tool like iCarsoft i980) to clear the error. SRS errors are not like ECU errors where they clear themselves after a few starts once resolved. SRS errors persist until cleared. That is, except for one that I know of: errors with the passenger seat weight sensor will clear immediately once repaired.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:16 PM

CLK500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Even after you fix the problem, you are going to need SDS (or an MBZ-specific tool like iCarsoft i980) to clear the error. SRS errors are not like ECU errors where they clear themselves after a few starts once resolved. SRS errors persist until cleared. That is, except for one that I know of: errors with the passenger seat weight sensor will clear immediately once repaired.
From my experience, this is not true.

I initially thought I would need to do this, but have tested that the sensor on the retractor itself is throwing a bad code.

- I was able to switch between my "defective seat belt" retractor and "defective sensor" retractor and the SRS error goes away.
- I have taken my car to the dealer twice and had all my errors cleared twice for other unrelated issues and the SRS error is still there.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I know for a fact that turning on the ignition with the ICM, UCP or any SRS squib disconnected will cause a permanent error that must be cleared using a scan tool. Maybe the seat belt tensioner is one that will clear when repaired. Like I said, the only one I know of that will clear is the seat sensor. Of course clearing errors when the underlying fault still exists won't clear the MIL. My advice is to invest in a tool that can scan an clear all faults form all systems in your car. SDS is best, of course, but iCarsfot i980 is less expensive and easier to use, though all it can do is scan and clear - no test, adaptation coding or actuations.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 AM

03clk 320
Hi,
My driver side seat belt is stuck and i am looking to buy a used one. I am not able to find one on ebay, can any one suggest where to locate one.

Car details
2003 CLK320 w209
Front left driver side seat belt retractor