CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Best Type of Enclosure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK Coupe 200 Komp 53 Plate
Best Type of Enclosure

Help

I have 2 jl audio 12 inch subs in seal'd 1cubic foot boxes but it just doesnt sound bassy enough inside the car im putting it down to alot of sound deading no matter what wya they face the setting on the eq or amp it still sound poor until the seats are down or the boot is open

Would using ported design box allow more bass to travel into the car?

Thanks Neil
Old 03-08-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Ported boxes will definitely increase bass output at the frequency the box is "tuned" to. However, I tend to prefer sealed boxes since the woofers are more controled and less boomy. Everyone has their own personal taste though.

Were your JL 12's designed to be installed into one 1 cubic foot boxes? Using the recommended box size makes a big difference.

Does your amplifier provide enough power to the subs ? It takes a lot of power to drive those JL 12's properly, especially in a sealed box.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:23 PM

CLK Coupe 200 Komp 53 Plate
Thanks Eich

My amp is designed to run with my 2 subs for the power and rms etc,the subs were designed for 1cubic foot boxes i just feel that the bassis very strong but doesnt travel well through out the carI think i may port the boxes do you feel it wouldallow more bass into the car?

Thanks Neil
Old 03-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
You will get increased bass in the range of the tuned frequency with a ported box. This will translate to more bass in the car in that frequency range. The question will be, is "more" better ?

Many ported box designs end up sounding a little muddy to me. The only harm in trying is the $$ it will cost to build the new box. I have heard some really good sounding ported designs. But I've also heard some really awful sounding ported boxes.

I've seen some people cut a hole in the rear deck of the car and line it up with the port to allow free air movement into the passenger cabin.

Bass frequencies can do strange things. Placement of the subs and the geometry of the car's interior can have a huge impact on your perception of bass. I had an '86 camaro once where I got a huge increase in bass if I pointed the subs towards the back of the car where they reflected off the back glass. As soon as you opened the hatch, even a crack, you wouldn't even think a sub was in the car.

Maybe simply cutting some holes into the rear deck behind the rear seats would improve the bass. The trunk of the CLK might be a little too airtight to let the subs move fully.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
i had just one JL 10W7 in their JL bandpass box, with a rockford BD1500 amp pushing it, and i hit 148.7 in a DB drag. The only drawback was that the box was huge. Typically bandpass boxes are larger than sealed boxes. I definitely did NOT have a shortage of bass.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
i have one JL 12w6v2 in a custom seal box.... the whole trunk is line with dynomat... the rear fake speaker panel is ported so that the sound can fill the interior of the car..... sound great, sometime too much base though, cuz my rear window will be rattling.... hope that help