CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

About my tiptronic "Box"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2003 Mercedes CLK 430 Cabriolet
About my tiptronic "Box"

My 2003 CLK430 Cab.
I just bought the car 3mos ago. When I push the lever to the left, it will downshift a gear; and then downshift again IF I click it. However, it doesnt STAY in the gear if I let go of the shifter. And Ive also noticed that there is no "gratifying click" when I push the lever over. Should I consider buying a new control box?
Old 07-31-2016, 01:06 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Welcome to the forums! Just an FYI, the MY2003 CLK Cabriolet was a W208, not a W209 (the cabriolet was delayed a year). For things specific to the W208, you might find better information in that forum. But, the functionality of the TouchShift is pretty much the same.

You may have a bad contact inside the AGS (automatic gear selector). I had this happen om my ML320 and I was able to fix it myself:

http://benzbits.com/touchshift

Your AGS should be essentially similar. I don't recommend tackling this unless you are well skilled in disassembling (and more importantly, reassembling) electronic parts.

Just in case, make sure the TouchShift is in fact malfunctioning. When you tap it left once, it should change from "D" to "4". You may not feel a solid "click" - it's just a spring contact switch you are activating. It will not necessarily shift to 4th gear when you do this. All it will do is limit the upper gear to 4th. So, if you are in 5th, it will downshift to 4th. If you tap it again, it changes the upper gear limit from 4th to 3rd, and on down through each gear to 1st. Again, keep in mind that this only limits the maximum highest gear. If the engine speed is too high for that chosen maximum, it will not downshift. If you have a maximum lower gear selected and you increase engine speed to redline, the transmission will automatically upshift to the next gear to prevent engine damage.

Tapping right to raise the gear does two things - it will raise the maximum highest gear, but it will also "request" that the transmission upshift to a higher gear. For example, if you are cruising along at about 35mph, the cluster will show "D", but it may be in 4th gear. Tapping right will ask the TCU to upshift to 5th if it won't stall the engine.