CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rough Idle (sometimes)& rotten egg smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03CLK500,13 Panamera GTS,00 BOXSTER,96CARRERA CAB
Rough Idle (sometimes)& rotten egg smell

I am having a few (more) Problems with my 2003 CLK500:
1. On occasion, as I come to a stop, the engine will run "Rough"and
race a little. This happens at random times and will not happen when the dealer is checking it out. When it does happen, it almost feels like the car is trying to resist come to a halt (idle).
I know that the "drive by wire" system is new, but has any one had this type of problem? The Tech at the dealer said we should wait for a "complete" failure, but this makes me more nervous.
2. After driving, the car emmits a sulfur/rotten egg smell. I asked the dealer about this one and got "I don't know" for an answer.
Any help or insights would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
You got a problem...

and "I don't know" aint a satisfactory answer. Most obvious area sounds like a converter problem, hence the sulfur/rotten eggs smell. But converters don't just fail, they have to be "encouraged", usually by an over-rich condition. You need to point out to your service advisor that you may be severely damaging your car as well as the environment; a delay here is going to mean bigger $$ (even though it's warranty) and more rough running problems. Get it in.