CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Smart key not unlocking steering - possible solution if the case is cracked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W209 270cdi
Smart key not unlocking steering - possible solution if the case is cracked

Sorry for long title.

Had a problem where one of my keys stopped unlocking the steering wheel, then my spare started doing the same thing.
Or the car would start but dash and lights not working.

I was reading a lot about eis replacements, infrared handshakes etc, and dirt in the keys.
Dumb me I then realised both of my keys have cracked cases for dirt to get in.

This little pile of debris was located right at the little infrared window.

The other key had some loose crap in it so it sometimes worked, and sometimes not, depends where the crap goes.

This may or may not fix somebody elses issue but it's worth a shot, especially if your case is cracked like mine.
The following users liked this post:
Reanimation (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
270 cdi w209
funny, my Key's are all playing up just lately, my main key stopped opening and closing the car New battery did not help although red light works and it starts the car, My spare key works fine, This morning I found my steering wheel was adjusted all the way up and my first key now works perfectly.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W209 270cdi
As for not unlocking I read about resyncing it somehow. If I remember correctly leaving it in position 2 for a minute or so?
The following users liked this post:
Reanimation (12-23-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
When the key case looks like that you are begging for trouble. And by trouble, I mean water/coke/coffee, etc. I frequently wash my hands and see one of those electro dryers and just wipe my hands open my pants, they're still kinds wet. One drop through that hole and you can wipe out a key.

Good news is EBay and Amazon have plenty of Chinese copies of that key body. You just need the exterior plastic case, and slide your PCB and battery holder in it. Read the reviews and make sure you get a decent one.