CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Control Arms - locking nuts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 CLK 320
I promise you it is the same bolt !! The flutes aren't 180 degrees apart so they must have been "hiding" in the first photo.

The bolt for the other LCA doesn't look to be fluted, when looking from the wheel-well, but I can feel them "hiding" around the back.

Unfortunately I forgot to check the relative position of the bolt and the center of the bushing.

The PO brought it to the dealership at about 37k miles complaining about alignment and it was only on the second visit that they sold him the fluted bolt kit.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK 500, yr 2005
DangermousCLK; You may want to re-read posts 3 & 6.
If I were you I would loosen that bolt pull it out and inspect it. The bushing also needs to be inspected!. It is my opinion that those ears inside the bushing that the bolt rides next to DO contribute to the longevity of your alignment. Just as in that first photo you posted those small tabs on the nut keep the nut from vibrating off and loosening; those ears in the bushing do the same. The bolt whether it is fluted and riding with the flute engaged with an ear, or a round bolt riding in the center of the bushing the ears position the bolt at initial installation and help to hold the control arm in place vice vibrating out of alignment. If you can't do the work yourself I would go to a Mercedes dealer as your indie doesn't seem to be real sharp on this set up. Same thing with the alignment shop. There are few shops I would trust to do a proper alignment on a Mercedes. The techs are not given the time, usually do not have the knowledge, and often do not have the proper equipment.
You may as well do as Yidney suggests and tighten the bolt with the car in alignment and keep your fingers crossed. My guess is that sometime in the not too distant future you will be out of alignment as road vibration, pot holes etc. effects that control arm. Then at that time you will need a new control arm, new bolt and someone with the knowledge to do the job right.

Last edited by zip439; 01-30-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
What will inspecting the bolt show, since the bolt is steel and the little tabs are aluminum? You seem set on your opinion that those little tabs maintain the alignment. That's fine. You are wrong, but that's fine.