CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Brother is looking at C class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 CLK 350
Brother is looking at C class

at a local CarMax..I am going with him to look at it Thursday.Is there anything wrong with taking my Icarsoft i980 and checking for codes?
I wouldn't think they would have a problem..unless there was something to hide. opinons..
Old 02-14-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK550
Honestly, Carmax is legit and they only sell vehicles that are up to their high standards. I don't see why they would try and hide any codes from a potential customer. Also, your brother would be covered if something popped up within a few days. I hear they're really good with warranty and handling any issues that happen with their cars. I would completely understand taking your scanned if he was buying from Craigslist, but he should be good. Just my $.02
Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 550 Coupe
I agree with that JakeMS3 said about Carmax being trustworthy and honest. That being said, I don't think there would be any harm in bringing a fault code reader just to be sure. Worst case scenario, you look a little paranoid - so what? It's not like they are going to turn you away for being cautious. Best case scenario, you are made aware of a issue with a car you would otherwise purchase.

If it would give you/your brother a little extra confidence, I would say go for it.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I have nothing against Carmax, and I think they have a good business model, but they deal with so many different car makes and models, they just don't have the ability to be "experts" on all of them. When shopping for MBZs, I've often visited their lot and test driven cars. Once, I drove a C230 coupe with a bad pano roof. It was the typical problem with the motor not working, and it was obviously broken as the roof would not budge. I drove an SL that had obvious transmission issues (bad torque converter and/or fluid pump issues, typical of early 722.9s). Even though they do a good job screening out damaged cars, they are going to sell some problem cars. And in those two cases, a diagnostic scan would have told me nothing. Bottom line, do the scans, but also know what you are buying.