CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2005 CLK320 water pump noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C280
2005 CLK320 water pump noise?

I have a 2005 CLK320 with 43k miles. I just bought it as a future gift and I have been going through it to make sure it is perfect before I give it to the recipient.

In addition to several other things, I replaced the serpentine belt over the weekend. When I did I noticed the water pump pulley seemed to have some movement in it. Not a lot, but it definitely wiggled. When I started it I heard a very intermittent clunking from the water pump area. It happens very sporadically but it is definitely there. I used my stethoscope and couldn't really hear anything from the water pump itself/ Of course its hard to time it as it just clunks a couple of times and stops.

There is no seepage from the pump and the car does not run hot at all. It runs great. Nice and smooth.

My question is can a water pump make such a clunking noise? Its not a whine but a distinctive "clunk clunk clunk" then it totally stops. There is no pattern.

Since I want the car perfect when its given I am wondering if I should just replace the pump. The access is soooo good on the 320's that it won't take me long. I just don't want to spend the $100 if no one has ever heaqrd of this clunking from a water pump before.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C280
Update

Well I ordered the water pump and installed the new one.

What an easy job. There was so much room up front in the CLK320. Used the new one to make a template on the bottom of an old box and marked each hole. Punched holes in the cardboard and placed the corresponding bolts in the proper holes. As others had indicated the two mounting holes for the little sensor bracket were not tapped so I did that before I installed the pump. I also replaced all the coolant.

There was a ton of movement in the shaft. If I moved it correctly I could reproduce the clunk that I was hearing. It wasn't leaking and the car was perfectly cool but since it is a gift I didn't want to give it with any issues.

Well it looks like the brakes are the last thing I will do. The rears are getting down there and I might as well do the fronts while I am at it.