CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Any alignment experts out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 CLK 320
Any alignment experts out there?

I could use some expert help on a tire wear problem I have.

New rear tires put on car 14,000 miles ago (3 years). Previous tires were worn down, smoothly across the width of the tire. And had an alignment done immediately. Left rear tire was replaced 8000 miles ago due to puncture.

Alignment was checked today after new front control arms were installed (by a third party).

As a side note to the alignment, they told me that the RR tire was worn on the inside (down to 3/32” compared to 5/32” on the outside). LR is an even 7/32”, but it is newer tire.

However the alignment camber is out or range on the LH side, not the RH. There is no rear camber adjustment available without buying an extra kit.

Why is the RR tire worn, but that side isn’t out of alignment? The shop gave me an answer, but I am not sure I believe it.
Attached Thumbnails Any alignment experts out there?-alignment-20170222.jpg  

Last edited by DangermouseCLK; 02-22-2017 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MBroadrunner (11-18-2019)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 CLK 350
I wanna know too, my RR (passenger side) inside is wearing too. Factory sport package, no other lowering.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an owner
Well your "before" toe settings were quite poor at both front and rear. This will have the biggest impact and they have made significant improvements on those.

However I am a bit disappointed that the rear toe isn't more even on both sides. However, sometimes, rear toe runs out of adjustment before you get a perfect setting; in that case it is more important to get them the same on both sides with a thrust angle of 0 rather than one side to manufacturing spec and the other as close as you can get.

I am new to Mercedes, looking for my first, and as no change has been made on the rear camber I assume this is non-adjustable.

It is unusual for camber and caster to be adjustable on the front so the change you see is very small movement of the car whilst it is being worked on.

What has been achieved isn't bad (quite good in fact) but a shame the rear toe isn't a closer match on both sides.

NOTE: tyre wear can be a suspension bush starting to wear or get weak or even worn but every tyre alignment centre is trained to check for suspension ear and damage before doing alignment work. In this case it is probably due to the "before" wheel alignment.

PS: ignore some of my comments on front alignment. New arms will have caused the readings to change so the readings before new arms were fitted could have been almost anything and may have contributed to the rear wear.

Last edited by kandlbarrett; 02-27-2017 at 05:58 AM.