CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My w209 is stuck in comfort mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CLK 2005 Cabriolet
My w209 is stuck in comfort mode

Hey all

i have a 05 CLK conv that I've owned for about 5 years. It's always been used in sports mode however I've clicked to comfort mode on snowy days before a few times. It's pretty obvious to me when in C mode as I believe it starts off in 2nd gear instead of 1st.

Anyways today for the first time I started it up and for some reason it started in comfort mode.
So I tried clicking the C/S button but it wouldn't switch me to sports mode. The weird thing is ; the "S" symbol stayed unchanging on my odometer; even as I clicked. So I turned the car off; now the symbol is changing from C to S and back but my transmission itself is stuck on C mode.

I haven't spilled any drinks on my shift knob or anything. Cars pretty clean.

Is is there any way I can reset this issue?

I don't know if this matters but I just completed a number of fixes on my car as listed

- engine mounts replaced
- fuel pump and fuel filter replaced
- front wheel bearings replaced
- synth oil change & oil filter
- coolant flush and replaced
- liqui moly jectron fuel cleaner added
- new battery & alternator
​​​​​​​
could any of these fixes have triggered this comfort mode issue? cars been driven a few days since those replacements have been done , drives well no issues or check engine lights

Note : my transmission is working well ; no issues or strange sounds / kicking - when cars changing shifts both accelerating and decelerating

Last edited by Charlie Coal; 03-10-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Additional detail
Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Are you sure it's really in "C" mode and starting in 2nd gear? You should be able to feel it downshift if you use the TouchShift and force it to 1st when sitting still. If the button switches the MFD indicator between C/S, then the AGS is working and sending the proper signals over the CAN, so unless the TCU is defective and simply not responding, then I don;t see how this could happen.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CLK W209
Another thing, if it's in comfort mode at a standstill, and you smash the throttle, you feel a very aggressive downshift into first gear from second.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 CLK 350
Are you really certain it is in comfort mode? Two tests:

1. If you start gently and immediately push the shift lever left, do you see a downshift on the tach?

2. The shift points change between comfort and sport mode. In comfort mode a gentle accelleration will shift at about 2K RPM. In Sport mode it will downshift at 2,5 to 3K RPM.