CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W209 CPS tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
W209 CPS tips

CPS failure is a common issue on these cars. I replaced mine at 64k miles just to avoid any potential problems and being stranded. $45 from Pelican Parts is cheap insurance if you can DIY. Here are some (hopefully) helpful tips.

You have to really squeeze the release lever on the electrical connector to get it off the sensor. I expect that many will break due to age and heat. Mine broke. I wonder how many mechanics break the lever and just shove the connector back on with nothing to hold it. If it breaks, you have to buy a new connector. About $5 at the dealer.

To replace the connector, you need some room to work. The wires for the CPS are bundled with some other wires. Almost directly below the MAF there is metal clip that has a zip tie that holds those wires. Clip the head off the zip tie and unwrap the electrical tape around the wires. That will give you enough play to put the connector on top of the valve cover. Once you have room to work, destroy the old connector to get the wires out. Pry up the three tabs (see photo) until they break off. Then take some small snips and destroy the rest (see photo). Mark where each wire goes. Then lube the new connector. I put Super Lube on a toothpick. Properly lubed, the wires will "click" into the new connector.

There is a clamp that goes around the connector (see pic) that holds the connector to the grooved wire housing. That clamp is made of pretty flexible plastic and will not break.

Last edited by Yidney; 04-04-2017 at 02:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rudeney (04-04-2017)