CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Front seat mod - Widening the frame.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
Front seat mod - Widening the frame.

Hips hurt from sitting in the car?
If you're like me, it's because your hip bone is sitting on the seats frame edges.
I did this last year and although I took some photos, I've gone out to the car a couple times today to review so I could write this up.

How to Widen the seat frame:
This can be done in an hour. But plan on 3 so you have time for beer.
Tools: flat head screwdriver, small Alan wrench, normal pliers, big hammer, block of wood.
Measuring isn't important, it won't bend enough to hit the console.
The cushion is held down at 4 corners.
Use images and video for assistance.

1. Remove the seat bottom. Time: 15 to 25 min.

Front mounts:
move the seat all the way back and raise the front of the seat all the way up.
There are two clear brackets holding the front of the seat in place.
Remove the two black push pins from the brackets by putting something in the hole and pulling down.
I used a small allen wrench, I think I pried on the allen wrench with a screw driver for leverage.
Pull the clear plastic brackets out of the seat by prying them from the seat a little at a time to keep it level to avoid breaking.
(later when you lift up on the seat to take it out, the black brackets on the frame side may fall out. There are no spare parts.)
Repeat on the other side

Rear mounts:
lower the seat, move it all the way forward and tilt forward as if letting people in the back.
From behind on each corner, with one hand on the seat cushion pushing down with all your weight,
under the seat, pull the rubber nub down and towards the other/in side.
(to put it back, you'll do the same but use pliers to pull it down and to the center to put it back. You'll understand once you look at it out of the car)
Repeat on the other side.

Now lift the seat cushion out. Undo wires if needed at clips.
Now that the seat is out we can start with the fun part.
Undo the clips that hold the material on the frame lip. The padding won't come all the way off, that's okay, just fold it back.
Use the hammer (with gusto) to flatten the top/flat edge to be parallel with the pan. Continue hammering while holding the seat frame at an angle to reshape a little wider, it wont go far.
Use the flat head screwdriver pry the lip enough to refasten the clips for the seat cover.
Only hammer the sides, do not hammer where the humps are in the pan, as that is for the motor.
I've thought about also trimming some of the padding on the side, but it's been good for me.
Reinstall the seat.
It would be easy to make this much longer, but this should be sufficient.
If you are not familiar with metal working, please get someone to help you, as if you break the seat (would take a lot, its good metal) you'd need a new seat.
Hammering:
Attached Thumbnails Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-1pushpin.jpg   Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-2abargliders.jpg   Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-2frontclips2.jpg   Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-3rearspring2.jpg   Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-4clipssprings.jpg  

Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-5eausre1.jpg   Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-6panhalfdone.jpg   Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-7pandone2.jpg   Front seat mod - Widening the frame.-8pandone.jpg