CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2004 CLK 240 Sometimes won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK240
2004 CLK 240 Sometimes won't start

I have a 2004 CLK240. About a week ago, when I was running errands, the car decided not to start. Key goes in, igntion turns, cluster comes on etc, but when key is turned to start there is nothing.

I replaced the car battery (the car battery was tested and seemed to be buggered), but no luck. left the car for about 24 hours, came back to check on it and it started. It went for its scheduled service a few days later, no issues found, and starting and running fine.

Following saturday, car started fine, went to a friend's house for lunch, about 6 hours later went to start car, same problem. Left it, came back the next day and started fine.

Have not really used it this week, but been starting it to check on it and no issues starting. Decided to use it today, started fine twice, went to fuel station, turned off car, once filling was done, no start again. There was a mechanic at the fuel station, we put key in and tried a couple of times and nothing happened. we then left key in start position for a minute or so, and then it started.

Any clues. Have been indicated it could be infrared on key (I dont have a spare to test another key!)

PS. I am a lady, so hope my descriptions are adequate/correct

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but wanted to get opinions so I can prepare for the worst!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Just to be clear, when you turn the key to the start position, you get nothing - the starter does not operate and the engine does not rotate, correct? O, I'd say first check fuses and relays. Fuses are #52 and #53. The relay is "S" - see on this diagram:

http://benzbits.com/w203/FrontRelays.pdf

If those are all good, the next step would be to verify with a meter that voltage is being applied to the starter. If so, then you have a bad starter. If not, then I'd go through the fuses and relay again, and if all that is in order. you will need to get a proper diagnosis from a tech with the right tools (i.e. SDS , MBZ Star Diagnosis).
The following users liked this post:
Jennavan4 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 08:39 AM

2004 CLK240
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Just to be clear, when you turn the key to the start position, you get nothing - the starter does not operate and the engine does not rotate, correct? O, I'd say first check fuses and relays. Fuses are #52 and #53. The relay is "S" - see on this diagram:

If those are all good, the next step would be to verify with a meter that voltage is being applied to the starter. If so, then you have a bad starter. If not, then I'd go through the fuses and relay again, and if all that is in order. you will need to get a proper diagnosis from a tech with the right tools (i.e. SDS , MBZ Star Diagnosis).
hi Rudeney, thanks for the reply. To be honest, I wouldn't know what the starter sounds like (whether it is operating or not), but the engine definitely doesn't rotate. I drove it to the dealer here today (I live in Zimbabwe), and it started fine, and when I got there no issues starting it again (was hoping it would do it to show them!). Anyway, they called just now and said that they ran diagnostics and picked up some errors on low voltage. they have cleared the computer, and have started it a few times - no issues. So they are going to keep for a couple of days to see if the problem replicates itself again.

I will ask if they have changed fuses (as you have suggested & I have seen on other threads), as suppose this is a 'cheap' fix if its the issue. The electrician at the dealer said he thinks it might be worn brushes in the starter and they are going to quote me to check that now.

Will let you know when I find out what the issue is. Hopefully something simple, as I have not had any other issues with the car.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:38 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If the engine is not rotating, then it's either (1) low voltage, not able to energize the starter motor, (2) a bad fuse of starter solenoid or (3) a bad starter. Since it's intermittent, I don't believe it is a fuse problem - once a fuse blows, it's done. It could be a bad relay, though. Since you had some undervoltage errors, I;d definitely look at the battery.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:29 AM

2004 CLK240
Hi Rodney,

Just an update for you, and anyone else who may have the same issue. It seems the brushes in my starter motor are very worn, and are being replaced. Should have my car back in a day or so and hopefully it runs smoothly and the issue is resolved.!

Thanks for the help and feedback!
Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 147 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Jennavan, what did that cost you? I'm having a problem that might be the same issue: W209 has been starting "hard" periodically over the last year or so, turning for two seconds or so before firing. Yesterday I was running errands, several starts and stops. Oddly enough the hard-starting was not an issue on this day, started right up every time. Until I get home with several items to unload, then it wouldn't start at all: no clicking, no turning, just normal dash lights and seatbelt actuator. I tried both Keyless Go and key in ignition: same, no sound, no start.

Originally Posted by Rudeney
I'd say first check fuses and relays. Fuses are #52 and #53. The relay is "S" - see on this diagram:

I checked the fuses, both good, and I swapped Relay S with Relay K: I thought I heard a little clicking but that may just be due to having the SAM covers off. Still no turning, no start.

I used to have an old Lexus RX300 with a similar issue (10 years older and triple the miles). With that car, a jump and a few tries would get the brushes to a place they made good contact and it would start, so I called 1-800-FOR-MERCedes. He tried to give a jump but no change. I'm considering having it towed to a local indie garage today. If he determines it's the starter I can't imagine he'll replace brushes; he'll more likely replace the whole starter. Thoughts?

Last edited by eddieo45; 05-10-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 147 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Replaced starter at neighborhood garage: $350 part, $300 labor.