CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2003 CLK 500 Hydro-Lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 500
Question 2003 CLK 500 Hydro-Lock

Hello a few months ago while driving to work at night I drove through some standing water from a flooded river. While going through, the engine hydro-locked and caused a bent piston rod. I was able to drain the engine change the oil after wards the engine started up ( With of coarse the engine pinging ) and drive it around the block. Now a month later the engine wont start w/ a fully charged battery interior electronics are working Air Vents/Stereo/Dash Board Light/and interior lighting. But when I turn the key there is no belt movement, just a click. I'm wondering if the engine is causing the starter to stop because of the bent piston rod and not engage, or would the starter become damaged for being submerged in water even tho is started after 2 days of the initial incident a while back, Could there also be some other electrical issues? Or would the spark plugs need to be changed because of the water? I have a spare engine to do a swap w/ but i'm looking to see other peoples opinions on what also could be the issue. Thank you and have a great day!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
How is it you know you bent a rod? That's what commonly happens, i just wondered how you confirmed it since the car started and ran. Anyway, you need to first confirm the battery is good. Fully charged does not necessarily mean anything. You need to measure the voltage at rest and while trying to start. If it measures only 12 volts at rest, the battery is bad.

Once you figure that out, and it still does not start, I could be several things. The starter may have gotten water in it and has rusted/corroded while sitting for a month, the same water messed up some electronics or electrical connection, or the engine is damaged enough that it is binding up after a month with some residual water in it. You can always pull your plugs and then put a socket on your crank pulley bolt and see how freely the engine turns. If it turns freely, then it probably is not that. But start with your battery and report back.