CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Possible ignition issue????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2008 e350
Possible ignition issue????

Don't know if this is a problem or just a feature of the car.

I own a 2003 CLK500 and have a tendency of leaving the key in the ignition while the car is parked in the garage. If the car is not used for a day or two, the ignition system goes dead and, at times, the key can't be removed from the ignition switch. The only way the car will start is with a jump. Once started, I can shut the car off, pull the key from the ignition switch, replace it and the car starts fine. The only obvious issue after this occurs is that a sunroof resync process is required. Car starts normal, and runs normal, after this occurs.

Does anyone know if, by leaving the key in the ignition and the system going dead, this is a feature of the car or a sign of some other problem.

thanx for any help
Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2008 e350
Originally Posted by rwolak
Don't know if this is a problem or just a feature of the car.

I own a 2003 CLK500 and have a tendency of leaving the key in the ignition while the car is parked in the garage. If the car is not used for a day or two, the ignition system goes dead and, at times, the key can't be removed from the ignition switch. The only way the car will start is with a jump. Once started, I can shut the car off, pull the key from the ignition switch, replace it and the car starts fine. The only obvious issue after this occurs is that a sunroof resync process is required. Car starts normal, and runs normal, after this occurs.

Does anyone know if, by leaving the key in the ignition and the system going dead, this is a feature of the car or a sign of some other problem.

thanx for any help

I think I've found my answer. Seems that leaving the key in the ignition switch puts a drain on the battery. It's working as designed.