CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Coolant in oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by gaazmon
He called me late yesterday afternoon so I'm going to go Monday and talk to him and take a look. I don't see how the whole thing could be bad especially if it is leaking from the top, which is the most likely area if the cap is bad or something. I'd assume that's more common.

But I hope your problem is resolved. That took a lot of patience and I think I personally would have lost my mind.
Maybe it's just the seals then. It doesn't take long to get them replaced. Keep us posted.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Update:

So, it's been 2 drives ever since we put everything pack together and there are no milky stuff on the oil cap nor a coolant leak yet. I believe we have fully solved the problem. That took a lot of patience, but I'm glad it's over. This whole engine-out-engine-in along with the replacement of the timing cover, the seals, and the water pump cost me $330 in total: $152 in labour and the rest in parts but the $150 I paid last week needs to be counted to which was the unneeded head gasket replacement. Anyway, it's all over now.

One problem that popped up is that the coolant level warning kept showing up and it would disappear once the sensor is removed from the reservoir while still being connected. We tried another sensor and the same thing happened. As if there's something inside the coolant reservoir causing this. Mind you the coolant reservoir is a year old at most. Any thoughts?
Old 06-30-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
Originally Posted by xsever
The first o-ring we got to was ripped as seen in the picture below.

We're continue to dismantle the timing cover to get to the second o-ring.

So was that o ring there before the cover was removed? Or just for the picture? And yeah what a great engineered idea that was, just brilliant, Mercedes out did themselves on that design. And wow, goes to show you how inexpensive the parts really are for these cars. So what is the rate of pay for mechanics there?
You got some great prices for all that work.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by exhaustgases
So was that o ring there before the cover was removed? Or just for the picture? And yeah what a great engineered idea that was, just brilliant, Mercedes out did themselves on that design. And wow, goes to show you how inexpensive the parts really are for these cars. So what is the rate of pay for mechanics there?
You got some great prices for all that work.
Yea it was there. It's supposed to be inside that black whole it's dangling from. I can't describe the feeling where you have to take the entire engine out of the car just to replace an $8 o-ring. It sounds like BMW!

Labour in Lebanon is cheap. Can't remember the labor rate only without looking at my Excel sheet but the whole thing costs me $324 including a new water pump (parts and labour).
Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
"ENGINEERING" what can I say? And just wow $8. for the stinking O ring? Lets see cost of manufacturing millions of those a day if they wanted to make that many would be likely under a penny a piece.
And thank you for the whole thread here, I saw a cover off an MB engine a year ago and thought I remembered O rings behind that front cover. Also it was my thought that a lot of the head gaskets being blamed for coolant diluting the oil could be caused by those O rings. This whole thread verifies that assumption. In my studies of some of the MB, V type engines, I have not been impressed with the thought process that the engineering team took with a lot of different areas of them. It is obvious they were designing an expensive throwaway engine. In my opinion.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2001 E430, 2005 CLK320 Cabriolet
One more broken O ring case.
This happens to my wife's 98 M112 engine, approx 125K miles. Losing coolant and rising oil level, mayonnaise in the cap.
Brought it to a Mercedes shop, he does not want to tackle it, maybe he think it is not worth it.
After thinking about it for a while for a last ditch effort, I decided to remove the coolant pump, and check the two coolant passages in the front cover.
One of the O ring has a small broken piece poking out, found the smoking gun!
look into how to deal with R&R the front cover, it is a difficult job and I'm not equipped to tackle it.
So I use JB weld WaterWeld patty to patch over the coolant passage (rough up the passage so the JB weld can stick) and cover up the whole O ring.
It reduced the diameter of the passage a little. But after several month of daily driving, it still holds and the engine is happy with normal coolant temp.
Filler cap is clean, no more mayonnaise.
My finger is crossed.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by mashe
One more broken O ring case.
This happens to my wife's 98 M112 engine, approx 125K miles. Losing coolant and rising oil level, mayonnaise in the cap.
Brought it to a Mercedes shop, he does not want to tackle it, maybe he think it is not worth it.
After thinking about it for a while for a last ditch effort, I decided to remove the coolant pump, and check the two coolant passages in the front cover.
One of the O ring has a small broken piece poking out, found the smoking gun!
look into how to deal with R&R the front cover, it is a difficult job and I'm not equipped to tackle it.
So I use JB weld WaterWeld patty to patch over the coolant passage (rough up the passage so the JB weld can stick) and cover up the whole O ring.
It reduced the diameter of the passage a little. But after several month of daily driving, it still holds and the engine is happy with normal coolant temp.
Filler cap is clean, no more mayonnaise.
My finger is crossed.
Wow amazing story! Nicely done and fingers crossed for you as well.