CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Gearing noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 CLK 350
Gearing noise

I have been getting a bit of bearing noise that sounds like it is from the front end. It has all the typical symptoms, except one. It appears when I brake hard or make a hard right turn, but after a short distance it fades and disappears. So far everything says left front wheel brearings.

BUT, I had the bearing adjusted a few miles ago and even when I deliberately make the hard right turn and hard brake to ensure it is in the rumble condition, if I jack the wheels up and check them for play by putting my hands in the 12 and 6 o'clock position and check for play, spin them and do this on all four wheels I have zero feelable play and the wheels spin smoothly. I really do want to figure out what wheel the worn bearing is in and hope its the front because its so much easier to replace them.

Advice? Do I just replace all wheel bearing in front and possibly waste money or is there something else I can do to isolate the problem?