CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Manually OPEN CLK COnvertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
E550 Cab, ML350, CLK63BS - Dearly Departed: CLK55
Manually OPEN CLK COnvertible

Hi all. First post. First MB. Snagged a CLK55 Cab that needs some TLC. TLC I am looking forward to providing. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty and have been reading threads etc in an effort to self-help. Used to wrench on an 80's Porsche so am familiar with German engineering/mentality. I have found and printed the wire diagrams, W209 Soft Top Operation etc, downloaded owners manual and a baker's dozen worth of print outs from other forum posts. What I cannot seem to locate are specific instructions to OPEN the top manually.

Current Codes: B1928-Limit Switch Interlocked of soft top compartment cover remains in the switched condition, B1953-Limit switch interlocked of soft top fails to switch, and B1950-limit switch Catch Position of soft top lock fails to switch. I'd like to cycle the top to a fully open position to see if switches reset at best, at worse I need to know how to open the top to get to the switches for testing/replacement.

My question is...after 1)releasing the pump pressure, 2)turning the lock-out knobs on the rear cylinders (drivers and passenger sides), 3)pushing the hinge stops forward (x2) with the trunk open, 4)releasing the front latch by the windshield, and lastly 5)putting the pull straps through the hinges is there another step/release to actually lift the glass portion of the top first or do I simply muscle the rear cover (after closing the trunk) up and back and then the glass will lift up afterwards?

Thanks for the help and the wealth of info on this site.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:18 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, that's pretty much it. Once you pop the cover up and back, it releases the rear glass so you can lift it up, then raise the cover, and fold the glass and top back down into the trunk. Also, you don;t say what year your car is, but if it's before MY2005, you may have a VERY hard time lifting the soft top cover due to the design of the earlier style hydraulic struts. If that's the case, you might try disconnecting the struts from underneath the soft top cover.

Last edited by Rudeney; 04-30-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:46 AM

Thanks Rudeney! "Once you pop the cover up and back, it releases the rear glass so you can lift it up" is no where to be found in MB documentation. This little nugget of info is what I was looking for. I've read a lot of your posts. I appreciate your willingness to share knowledge. Will attempt tomorrow after work. I may release the struts just to be safe. It is a 2005, but I've read early 05's may had carry over struts from 04. Safe than sorry is my motto. The TLC continues...
Old 05-01-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
If you get this to work, please post a video of some sort. I’m dealing with the same issue, where I can’t get my top open. Unfortunately I can’t get Rudeney’s video to work on my mobile, and I’ve been having frustrations trying to open my cover as well. It’s an 04 clk55.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:37 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Follow this video to the 1:54 mark - at that point the glass should be released from the cover and can then be lifted up. Once the glass is up, lift the cover. Now the glass and top can fold into the trunk.

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/ManualClose.wmv
Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 AM

04CLK - Will do. Rudeney - Thanks for the video. I will add to the community with a step-by-step from the top-up condition to top-down.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Originally Posted by 04CLK5.4
If you get this to work, please post a video of some sort. I’m dealing with the same issue, where I can’t get my top open. Unfortunately I can’t get Rudeney’s video to work on my mobile, and I’ve been having frustrations trying to open my cover as well. It’s an 04 clk55.
Am in the same frustration as you, am about to just cut off the entired top wiyh a jigsaw🤣🤣 jope we get thing to work out.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Success! Will get video posted - likely this weekend. This is absolutely a two person job - not b/c of strength but because I would not want to put the torsional load on the frame/linkage. I have a big wing span and after trying it myself I decided to enlist some help from the fam. Safe than sorry. Stand by. Don't pull out the jigsaw/sawzall just yet.

You will need both pull straps or something similar. A step stool/exercise block/cinder block (don't fall/use at own risk) will also be handy for added leverage when lifting/unseating the rear cover. I didn't use it originally, but after the fact I realized it would make it easier for shorter people.

BTW, code B1928 "Limit Switch interlocked remains in switched position" relates to micro-switch S84/13 on the driver's side strut. Another forum mentioned this code but I don't think the connection was made to this switch. I thank Dean over at BNZ Automotive in Sunbury, OH for help on running this to ground. If you live near his shop...he is excellent.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:54 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Officially, it is a two-man job for the exact reason you mention - to make sure you pull symmetrically on the rear cover and its hinges. I have done this by myself many times. I am not terribly strong, but I do have long arms, which helps on the ropes on the hinges. Part of it is just a matter of knowing the exact movement to make to pop the hinges.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:37 PM

Hi all - Sorry for the delay. I had a family issue come up that monopolized my time. Here is the link for the video over at YT:
. Feel free to cut/paste. You can also put this in the search bar: W209 2005 CLK How To Open Top . If I am doing something wrong please let me know and I will post a new vid with the updated procedure.

Also...1) Can someone tell me how much hydraulic fluid they have in their reservoir when the top is completely up and all hinges are latched? Mine is Full (at the Max level) and I believe it is suppose to only be 1/2 full when the top is in the top-up position.

2) Any pointers on the last step of closing the cover? In my experience with German cars, they don't like to be forced. I am reluctant to "force it". Thanks, and thanks for your patience.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The hydraulic struts need steady, from pressure to operate manually. It does feel like you are forcing them, but just be firm. As for the fluid level, is fluctuates slightly between open and closed, but not 1/2 a tank worth.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
Just wanted to stop in and say that you’re amazing for coming through with this - looking forward to trying it out on mine based on the instruction!