CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

soft top wont open, keyfob does not lower windows,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soft top wont open, keyfob does not lower windows,

Good day folks. I have a 2008 CLK350, and just purchased about week ago. The former owner said that he had the softop operate once but it stop . we both are aware of the switch located in the trunk which is activated by the partition. Dont think that is the problem as I have tried to close that with a prop to trick it and the close partition message does not appear on the dash. Here is what is happening :
When I pull the switch to open the softop nothing happens. Windows don't go down and top does not move.
The roll bars are down in the back.
When I point the keyfob at the doors from the outside to roll down the windows they don't go down.
Can this be a Fuse? a relay?
thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:01 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If the trunk partition is not properly closed, then you will get a message on the MFD (instrument cluster's multi-function display). Since you get no message, you have another problem. Do you hear the hydraulic pump running when you activate the switch? If not, it could be a bad pump or fuse. There are scan tools (no generic OBDII code readers) that can pull codes from the soft top module and give you more information.

As for not being able to open the windows or top via the fob pointed at the door handle, that is probably a bad IR sensor. It's a common problem. Once you get your sfot top operational, you'll want to invest in a SmartTop module.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK550, 2015 GLK350 4 Matic, 2017 GLE

I have a similar problem on my 2008 CLK550, regarding the operation feature of the key fob. The fob works perfectly on all features, except outside operation of windows and soft top. The top works perfectly using the inside controls. Any additional information on the IR Sensor and SmartTop module would be appreciated.

Is that hat an aftermarket item?
New to the site, I really enjoy all the great information and help from you veterans. Hopefully, I can help soon as well.

PT835

Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The SMartTOP module is an aftermarket component. Check it out at www.mods4cars.com.