CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 W209, not performing as its supposed to be.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 2004.
CLK 320 W209, not performing as its supposed to be.

Hey guys, I bought my first Mercedes just a week ago. CLK 320 2004 coupe. Its on 222.000 km's at the moment. I tried to reach 0-100 kmh factory data (which is 7.9 secs) but never achieved less than 9.5 seconds and it makes me tilt. I tried couple of ECU reset and still no luck. Is it normal for 222.000 km car to lack this much of performance ?

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and complete your profile - add your car's model year and your location (at least country). This will appear on the left panel on each of your posts and help others give you better answers.

You are correct that MBZ's published 0-100kmh time is 7.9 seconds for the CLK320 coupe. Since MBZ often understates performance a bit, you might be able to do a bit better than that. A few things to consider: is the transmission in "S" (summer/sport) mode? If it's in "W" or "C" (winter/comfort) mode, it starts in 2nd gear, so you will get reduced performance.

Are you carrying any additional weight in the car? Just the extra 115kg added with the cabriolet increases 0-100kmh by over half a second. Custom rims that weight more than factory can really affect performance (adversely).

With a car of that mileage, many things can play a role in reduced performance. What is the status of the transmission fluid? And Differential oil? For that matter, what about the engine oil and intake air filters? Your catalytic converters are probably nearing end of life as well, so while the exhaust system may not be fully clogged, it could have more back pressure than when new.
The following users liked this post:
wilgerdoom (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 01:35 PM

CLK 320 2004.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and complete your profile - add your car's model year and your location (at least country). This will appear on the left panel on each of your posts and help others give you better answers.

You are correct that MBZ's published 0-100kmh time is 7.9 seconds for the CLK320 coupe. Since MBZ often understates performance a bit, you might be able to do a bit better than that. A few things to consider: is the transmission in "S" (summer/sport) mode? If it's in "W" or "C" (winter/comfort) mode, it starts in 2nd gear, so you will get reduced performance.

Are you carrying any additional weight in the car? Just the extra 115kg added with the cabriolet increases 0-100kmh by over half a second. Custom rims that weight more than factory can really affect performance (adversely).

With a car of that mileage, many things can play a role in reduced performance. What is the status of the transmission fluid? And Differential oil? For that matter, what about the engine oil and intake air filters? Your catalytic converters are probably nearing end of life as well, so while the exhaust system may not be fully clogged, it could have more back pressure than when new.
Thanks for the reply. Im using factory rims. Car also has CLK 55 body kit, dunno if it matters weight wise. I myself have some additional weight, im around 180 kg and I had my father in the car aswell with around 115 kg. I achieved 8.5 second result with alone driving on S mode. Ill get the complete service history of the car tomorrow and we will see. Car says 9600 km's before next service but I cant wait for 9600 km. Ill just drive to service asap. I hope they can find the cause of performance lack.

Thank you very much
Old 08-01-2018, 05:15 PM

CLK 320 2004.
I was watching w209 CLK 320 acceleration videos on youtube for a while and they are all reachin 0 to 100 in like 7.20 to 7.50 seconds. Meanwhile I noticed that my car doesnt shift gear quick as they do on movies. So I think the problem is gearbox, transmission fluid etc.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:14 AM

CLK 320 2004.

And this is the lovely acceleration of my funny grandma CLK 320
Old 08-30-2018, 04:26 AM

CLK C209 320
Your esp is working and hitting your brakes in 1st gear because you do not have enough grip. Try not to spin the wheels in 1st and 2nd gears. New tires will also help you to have more grip and accelerate faster. You can turn off the esp and you will accelerate faster but you have to be careful not to spin the car and hit something.