CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I知 about to replace the radiator. What else to do while I知 in there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Own 2005 CLK500, but drive 2011 Sienna :)
Oh, I never knew that. I did use the old bolts. The reason for that was - the torque on those bolts (if torqued with 8nm or 71" lbs as per the manual) is minimal, providing little to no stress to the bolt. But may be they are designed for a single use - that's another story. My theory is - the new original bolts may come with the tread lock on them and that's the only reason why to replace them. May be I'm not correct.
Let me shout out to the ones who did the same job - did you guys replaced the bolts or keep the old ones?

Old 10-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Ok, another update. I did remove the pan yesterday. Again. Cleaned it. I put it upside down on my kitchen countertop (assuming it is somewhat level). I did shine with the flashlight from one side to another and I was able to see the light through the uneven pan edge. I can't make the conclusions if the pan is bent or if this unevenness is within the tolerance, just presenting the facts. I did put a new gasket and re-did the "level test". I did see the light again and it required quite a force to press the pan towards the countertop in order to block the light from coming through, if you know what I'm saying. Next I did install the old! gasket and did the same test - almost no light came through. What I'm thinking is that the old gasket did adapted to the shape of the pan for all those years to make it even. So I did leave the old gasket on the pan and installed it onto transmission and refilled it. Guess what - one minor leak only, what I was able fix by applying little more torque than 8nm and overnight no more leaks!

I'm kinda confident that it's impossible to make absolutely straight pan simply because it is not machined but it's was pressed in the form instead. I can remove the pan from my donor car and do the same test - but really don't want to make a mess on my driveway.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
It does sound like a warped pan. Also, to Anker's comment about the bolts, on your 722.6, they are reusable. Ont he 722.9, they are an aluminum alloy and are one-time-use.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Some updates: