CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Ride height issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S65 AMG
Ride height issue

I purchased my 2006 CLK 500 cabriolet a couple months ago as a project. I knew the car needed struts and shocks since they had leaked and the car was bouncing around. The front of the car sat a little higher than the back and I thought maybe the rear shocks were in worse condition than the front. So I ended changing the Struts and shocks all around I also changed the front Control arms (upper and Lower), stability link, Motor Mounts, and Transmission mount. So after I did everything the car was sitting high so I went to go drive it so it can settle in a bit. I came back and noticed the car looked exactly the same. Front was sitting high Rear was sitting normal. I decided to drive the car for about 2-3 weeks and see if anything changes. Now it’s still sitting the same and I don’t know what to do. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I really don’t want to put on lowering springs or anything.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:26 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
When you installed the front control arms, did you have the wight of the vehicle on them when you torqued the bolts at the frame? If not, then that could be part of the issue. Also, you could have weak springs in the rear.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S65 AMG
I’m just going to assume it’s weak springs in the back. I’m thinking about cutting the front springs to level ride height. Has anybody cut springs before? What’s the cons?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 clk550, 2006 clk500 (sold)
ck the clearance from top of the front tire to the strut cap. You should have about 1/2 inch clearance. If so then if you remove space from the front (cut your springs), you may rub in the front going over "bumps". If you really want to lower your front, I have brand new set of H&R front lowering springs I can sell you. PM for details.